Reaction score
Florida boots Janoris Jenkins from team

By Edward Aschoff

Florida senior cornerback Janoris Jenkins has been dismissed from the football team, days after his second drug-related arrest in three months.

Florida coach Will Muschamp announced on his Twitter account that the decision was made after speaking with Jenkins Tuesday morning. A team spokesman later confirmed Muschamp's decision.

"After meeting with Janoris Jenkins today, we both felt it was in his best interest to move ahead to the next stage of his career," Muschamp said. "We appreciate Janoris' contributions to the University of Florida during his time here and wish him the best of luck."

Jenkins' dismissal came after he was arrested early Saturday morning and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. Gainesville police said they found a marijuana cigar in the console of the vehicle Jenkins had been sitting in at a downtown parking lot.

It was the second time in less than three months Jenkins, 22, was arrested for a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge.

Jenkins, of Pahokee, Fla., was issued a notice to appear on a charge alleging possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana. He has a court date of May 12.

Jenkins was arrested on the same charge Jan. 24, when police found him with less than 20 grams of marijuana in the bathroom of a Gainesville nightclub. Jenkins accepted a plea agreement with the state attorney's office on that charge and was ordered to pay court costs of $316.

Jenkins also was arrested in June 2009 on misdemeanor affray charges after being involved in a fight and fleeing police. He agreed to a deferred prosecution agreement on that charge and was placed on six months' probation.

Jenkins, who was named to the All-Southeastern Conference first team by The Associated Press, missed all of spring practice after undergoing surgery to repair a torn labrum he suffered at the beginning of last season. Even though he was projected as a high first-round pick, Jenkins decided to stay in school rather than enter the NFL draft.

A three-year starter, Jenkins has eight career interceptions, including three last season, one of which he returned 67 yards for a touchdown.

Reaction score
Supplemental draft prospect Janoris Jenkins in pursuit of agent
Posted by Evan Silva on April 26, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT

We mentioned the possibility of now former Florida cornerback Janoris Jenkins entering the 2011 supplemental draft Tuesday afternoon, just after Gators coach Will Muschamp announced on Twitter that Jenkins was done as a football player at the university.

Jenkins is moving quickly on that possibility.

According to SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline, Jenkins is pursuing an agent to represent him for the supplemental draft, which typically takes place in July.

The Gators listed Jenkins at 5-foot-10 and 183 pounds, average size for a corner. A four-star recruit coming out of high school, Jenkins was an immediate starter at Florida and picked off eight passes in three seasons.

He was a first-team All-SEC selection in 2010.

Muschamp dismissed Jenkins from the team due to multiple marijuana-related arrests.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Marijuana issue or not... I'm throwing out at least a 3rd round pick for him in the Supplemental draft. I would even strongly consider using a 2nd.

Risky but could be a huge reward.

sbk92

Reaction score
You'd have to really get a good feel for him first and decide whether he's determined to save his NFL career and straighten himself out or whether he's just one of those guys who will never have his priorities in order.

Reaction score
Marijuana issue or not... I'm throwing out at least a 3rd round pick for him in the Supplemental draft. I would even strongly consider using a 2nd.

I wouldn't touch him.

Knuckleheads with weed problems suddenly don't just stop using weed once they're millionaires.

sbk92

Reaction score

What huge reward would that be?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
What huge reward would that be?

He's a top talent. A knucklehead but still can't ignore the talent.

Assuming it works out, a 3rd round pick for a CB who would easily be a top pick if he doesn't have these problems is a steal in my book.

Top Bottom