Reaction score
LOS ANGELES -- Receiver Markeith Ambles was absent from USC's Saturday practice at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and did not inform the coaching staff of his whereabouts, coach Lane Kiffin announced after the session.

Ambles, a sophomore, has had a troubled first year at USC. Since arriving on campus last summer, he has been suspended, left the team and been forced to miss multiple practices and do extra conditioning drills as punishment for late arrivals and no-shows to team functions.

"He wasn't here this morning," Kiffin said Saturday. "It went on as normal, so we'll figure it out."

Ambles, 19, was punished earlier in the week for arriving late to a mandatory team weightlifting session and was not allowed to practice on Thursday, instead running repeatedly around Howard Jones Field during the Trojans' practice.

He had previously been suspended in October and, shortly after his reinstatement two weeks later, left the team in November and went home to suburban Atlanta for several weeks over the Christmas break before meeting with Kiffin and deciding to rejoin the team in mid-January.

Kiffin said Saturday he was worried about Ambles' behavior. He and fellow sophomore Dillon Baxter were involved in a number of incidents together in 2010 but Baxter has managed to stay out of trouble this spring.

"You'd like to see guys continue to mature, like some of the other freshmen," Kiffin said of Ambles.

Pedro Moura covers USC for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Reaction score
Extremely talented kid who spurned the Vols at the last minute and followed Kiffin to USC.

Glad to see he's a head case and causing Kiffin problems.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Kid is kind of weird. Typical prima donna WR but hasn't proven much yet. Luckily, we are super deep at WR with future stars Robert Woods, Kyle Prater, and George Farmer.

Reaction score
Kid is kind of weird. Typical prima donna WR but hasn't proven much yet. Luckily, we are super deep at WR with future stars Robert Woods, Kyle Prater, and George Farmer.

Yeah, I was bothered when he left UT, but we're loaded at receiver right now.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Staying on the subject of UT, Janzen Jackson is on my 2012 Draft Top 10 Watch List.

Reaction score
Staying on the subject of UT, Janzen Jackson is on my 2012 Draft Top 10 Watch List.

I'd love for him to be a Cowboy, but he's gonna play himself into the top 15. He won't last until the 32 pick in the draft.

Edit... if memory serves, he actually withdrew from the team. I'm not sure if he came back...

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I haven't watched their Spring Game yet but he's listed as the #1 FS on the most updated depth chart ??

Reaction score
He withdrew a while ago. Appearantly for "family issues", but no one outside of the team knows exactly what is going on.

I guess it's assumed he's coming back. But you can never tell with 20 year olds.

Top Bottom