sbk92

Reaction score
NFL mock draft: Mallett, Liuget and Sherrod moving up draft boards

Russ Lande
Sporting News

22890-330-0.jpg

Do not be shocked to see DT Corey Liuget continue to climb draft boards and ultimately become a top-five pick, says Russ Lande.

As pro days are in full swing, here's a look at the players rising and falling on draft boards around the league:

Moving up

1. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas. As happens every year, one QB who looks so-so on film will fly up draft boards because he looks like an All-Pro in workouts. Mallett showed elite arm strength and good touch during his Combine and pro day workouts, and without a pass rush coming at him he can make every NFL throw with zip and accuracy. Mallett’s supporters are pushing him because of his elite arm and his experience in a pro-style offense. Still, choosing Mallett in the first round would be a huge risk because he struggles greatly under duress.

2. Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois. As more and more NFL coaches break down his film, they are amazed by his explosiveness, natural strength, competitiveness and speed. He has as much, if not more, physical talent as Auburn's Nick Fairley and Alabama's Marcell Dareus. Do not be shocked to see Liuget continue to climb draft boards and ultimately become a top-five pick.

3. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State. He is an athletic tackle we have hyped since early last season. After a strong Senior Bowl and solid Combine workout, NFL personnel men now see what we saw last September: Sherrod has the height, long arms, quick footwork and athleticism to be an elite pass blocker. He really improved as a run blocker in '10, too, and enhanced his strength to better handle bull rushers. Sherrod could work his way into the top 20 by April 28.

Moving down

1. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. Solder is a far better athlete than football player. He struggled at the Senior Bowl and clearly needs a lot of work on his technique and footwork. At the Combine, he failed to "wow" anyone. As a former tight end, he is still learning the position and will be a bit of a project to get his production to match his potential. He would be a huge risk in the middle of the first round.

2. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. No one doubts he has the rare talent — as he displayed Tuesday at Auburn's on-campus workout — to merit being a top-three pick. Fairley's concern is that Dareus and Liuget have similar talent but no questions about their maturity level and work ethic, and thus both ultimately could be drafted ahead of Fairley. We think the knock on him — about taking plays off — is overblown, but any time there are questions about work ethic a player is going to slide, if only a couple spots.

3. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska. He ran well at the Combine and did well in position drills, personnel men are concerned about what they have seen on game film, especially vs. Oklahoma State. No one wants to knock a good prospect based on one bad game, but more and more NFL teams are using big receivers and Prince was abused by Oklahoma State sophomore Justin Blackmon (6-1, 207), beating him deep and exposing his lack of ball awareness. Scouts worry that he often is in position to play the ball but rarely bats it down or makes the interception.

Lande’s Mock Draft

1. Panthers—Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

2. Broncos—Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina

3. Bills—Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

4. Bengals—Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

5. Cardinals—Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

6. Browns—A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

7. 49ers—Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

8. Titans—Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

9. Cowboys—Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

10. Redskins—Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

11. Texans—Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

12. Vikings—Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

13. Lions—Tyron Smith, OT, USC

14. Rams—Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

15. Dolphins—Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

16. Jaguars—Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pitt

17. Patriots (from Oakland)—Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

18. Chargers—Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal

19. Giants—Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech

20. Buccaneers—Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

21. Chiefs—Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State

22. Colts—Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

23. Eagles—Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

24. Saints—Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

25. Seahawks—Danny Watkins, G, Baylor

26. Ravens—Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

27. Falcons—Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

28. Patriots—Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

29. Bears—Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy

30. Jets—Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

31. Steelers—Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple

32. Packers—Mike Pouncey, C, Florida

sbk92

Reaction score
3. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska. He ran well at the Combine and did well in position drills, personnel men are concerned about what they have seen on game film, especially vs. Oklahoma State. No one wants to knock a good prospect based on one bad game, but more and more NFL teams are using big receivers and Prince was abused by Oklahoma State sophomore Justin Blackmon (6-1, 207), beating him deep and exposing his lack of ball awareness. Scouts worry that he often is in position to play the ball but rarely bats it down or makes the interception.

Sound familiar?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This guy is full of it. If Peterson is within reach like that, I believe Jerry will pull the trigger. The Titans have no need to take Peterson. I cannot see them passing up on Fairly to take Peterson. And no way, does Fairly get pass the Cowboys or Texans.

And wow! He has Mallett back in the 1st round despite the poor showing at the combine and Pro Day, but has J.J. Watt totally out of the 1st round, when for months he's been in at least the top 15 consistantly, especially considering the decent combine Watt had, and yet he has Paea in the 1st round who did nothing in the combine except bench press because they are not sure about his knee.

Not a well thought out mock. The Broncos are going back to the 4-3, but yet they are going to take Quinn, who will basically be a 3-4 OLB over Bowers a 4-3 DE. Ok.

I can see the Cardinals going after Gabbert, after seeing the success of Bradford and in such a weak division.

A.J. Green to the Browns makes sense.

I could see the 49ers taking Miller to team up with Willis. But as I mentioned, I do not see the Titans passing up on Fairly and taking Peterson. In fact, I can see Quinn going to the Titans and Fairly to the Broncos.

Reaction score
This is the first time I've heard anyone suggest Mallett is moving up draft boards.

Virtually every other report has him likely falling to (at least) the third round.

Reaction score
This guy is full of it. If Peterson is within reach like that, I believe Jerry will pull the trigger. The Titans have no need to take Peterson. I cannot see them passing up on Fairly to take Peterson. And no way, does Fairly get pass the Cowboys or Texans.

And wow! He has Mallett back in the 1st round despite the poor showing at the combine and Pro Day, but has J.J. Watt totally out of the 1st round, when for months he's been in at least the top 15 consistantly, especially considering the decent combine Watt had, and yet he has Paea in the 1st round who did nothing in the combine except bench press because they are not sure about his knee.

Not a well thought out mock. The Broncos are going back to the 4-3, but yet they are going to take Quinn, who will basically be a 3-4 OLB over Bowers a 4-3 DE. Ok.

I can see the Cardinals going after Gabbert, after seeing the success of Bradford and in such a weak division.

A.J. Green to the Browns makes sense.

I could see the 49ers taking Miller to team up with Willis. But as I mentioned, I do not see the Titans passing up on Fairly and taking Peterson. In fact, I can see Quinn going to the Titans and Fairly to the Broncos.

I agree, wrong or right if he drops to within 2 or 3 picks for Dallas.....Jerry will be dealing.

Top Bottom