C

Cr122

Scout's quotes on prospects...

These are from a piece Bob McGinn does every year on the draft for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Nate Solder - "He's the most talented tackle overall. he's just got a ways to go with his anchor and learning the tricks of the trade. He doesnt have the grit and finish or the lower body-strength yet. Too tall."

Tyron Smith - "His technique is all screwed up, but he has great body balance, feet, and quickness."

Castonzo - "Technically, he may be the best of the tackles. he's got a little stiffness. He's athletic but I just dont see any power to him. I just dont like the way he's built. He's linear not real bulky guy."

Carimi - "I think he's probably the most ready to play. I dont think he will be elite type tackle but he will be a good solid pro." 2 scouts said right tackle only. " I think he's a first round pick almost by default. not as good as Bulaga. smart kid, will battle you, you could do worse."

Pouncey- "Brother was a little more powerful. He wont always be pretty but he anchors really well, which is a key for centers and guards. good range, above average athlete, good size, plays hard. Had half a dozen faulty shotgun snaps in 2010."

J. Baldwin- "Best hands in draft, huge targert, great ball skills. definatley more of an X(split end) than a Z(flanker). Not a good route runner. Maneuverability in his hips is a little bit of an issue. Chip on his shoulder wants to prove he's as good as Green and Jones."

Liuget- "He's a whole lot better than I thought he was going to be. He doesnt stay blocked long. He's going to beat you with his strength and his feet. Quick off the ball, real stout, good instincts."

D. Sherrod- "Did not look good at Senior Bowl. He's a hit or miss guy. Smarter than you average Mississippi State guy. He will be a starter."

Ijalana-"Athletically he's really good. He can bend. He plays to his competition level. The question is, does his fire burn all the time? Turned it up only 2 or 3 times in his career. He's a slab of a man who underachieves. He's willing to work just hasnt had a coach up his rear."

O. Franklin-"I think he's better than Castonzo." Another scout said "top 50 or 60 player, better than Carimi, more physical and athletic."

M. Cannon- "He tries to win with his size. He's got some stiffness. Does not always finish. Not ready to play. It will take him a year or so to get it. When he does he has the ability to play left tackle."

Marcus Gilbert- "He's not real bright. Underachiever, bust waiting to happen."

Kerrigan- "He's a Kerney, Vanden Bosch. Going to make it because he persistent and savvy. He cares so much. He's a little tight."

Paea- "He's got a little bit of a height issue. He's a 3-technique. Not a nose tackle."

P. Taylor- "He has to keep his weight under control. He's got ability no question about it. Really gifted feet."

M. Austin- "If he had any character at all he would be a 1st round pick. He's a punk but he has special, special feet. He does some athletic stuff that makes you go Holy $@*#%."

Jimmy Smith- "He's a pretty good player but he's a jerk." Most scouts like him but had expressed major misgivings about his character.

Brandon Harris- "Plays with his eyes. He's confident. We see him more as a late second or third round guy."

Aaron Williams- "He's more finesse than physical. Then again, Texas guys are pampered and cant fight through adversity. Good size." One scout thinks he may go in the 1st but likes him as a top of the 2nd guy.

Reaction score
Im talking about the fact they only compare white players to other white players. Kerrigan is an OLB, no? That comparison is so lazy it offers me nothing.

And Jeff Maehl got compared to Ricky Proehl the other day. I like Proehl, he went to my HS, but he was such a no-name why would he ever be the first name on your mind like that?

sbk92

Reaction score
Because whites and blacks aren't the same. People can pretend they are, but they're not. Whites are inferior athletes. If you're talking about a white WR, chances are he's limited athletically and he's had to have the intangibles and motor to make it. Like another white WR in the past.

It's a perfectly logical comparison.

Cam Newton reminds me of Vince Young.

Reaction score
Ignoring that Kerrigan will be playing a different position and tested very well athletically.

Black guys are the best athletes, but there is a whole range of athleticism between whites. Kerrigan tested as well as Robert Quinn, he might stand up in the pros. He is not VanDen Bosch. Matt Sczczczur would have got the Welker comparisons had he not pussed out and he is more of a Percy Harvin.

Just like Shipley and Welker were constantly compared and that was another lazy one. Welker operated underneath and I remember Shipley going deep plenty at Texas.

Different players getting compared just b/c theyre white. Means no thought whatsoever was put into it.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Because whites and blacks aren't the same. People can pretend they are, but they're not. Whites are inferior athletes. If you're talking about a white WR, chances are he's limited athletically and he's had to have the intangibles and motor to make it. Like another white WR in the past.

It's a perfectly logical comparison.

Cam Newton reminds me of Vince Young.

I don't know about athletically, but there are a bunch of fast, white boys in the NFL nowadays.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't know about athletically, but there are a bunch of fast, white boys in the NFL nowadays.

No. There really isn't.

If you ranked the 50 fastest players in the NFL, probably all 50 would be black.

These race comparisons make a great deal of sense to me.

Reaction score
m19927_the-negro-community-frowns-upon-your-shenanigans1.jpg

Reaction score
The only people upset over truthful discussion about this stuff is old white guys.

"Hey black guys, you are way more athletic"

Black guy - "STFU asshole"

Never happened

Reaction score
Do you guys know why blacks are so fast and athletic?

Im sure your answer will be funny but the truth is apparently a better center of gravity, from a report I read. Mentioning how they got said center of gravity is something that leads to broadcasters getting fired.

Although my Dad, a 47 year-old ex athlete white guy, claims its more want-to.

LOL, if I just wanted it more I can block a Lebron James dunk.

Edit: It probably wont be funny

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Im sure your answer will be funny but the truth is apparently a better center of gravity, from a report I read. Mentioning how they got said center of gravity is something that leads to broadcasters getting fired.

Although my Dad, a 47 year-old ex athlete white guy, claims its more want-to.

LOL, if I just wanted it more I can block a Lebron James dunk.

It's because they have to run and dodge from all the drive bys.

edit: Ok, that wasn't funny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom