sbk92

Reaction score
Big Board has a new No. 1

Combine results play a part this week, as the Big Board shifts at No. 1

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

The big shift this week is at the top, where Patrick Peterson now claims the No. 1 spot. After a fantastic week at the NFL combine, he has become the rare corner who could be considered a potential No. 1 pick. Given that he is a full 219 pounds, can be a weapon as a returner, and could conceivably become a star at safety if a coach ever pushed him there, he epitomizes a guy who can produce early.

One other thing you'll notice are changes at height and weight. After the official measurements came in, there were a few surprises. Several guys lost an inch and others gained a few pounds, all things that factor in to where they fit. You'll also see a change among the quarterbacks. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

1) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-0 219
Analysis: An extraordinary athlete, Peterson showed off 4.34 speed in the 40 and carries safety size. Tape is superb; helps in return game. A potential star. Last week: No. 4

2) Nick Fairley *, Auburn DT 6-4 291
Analysis: Raised eyebrows with smaller size than listed, but had great workouts. Excellent athleticism, scheme versatility and tape all imply stardom. Last week: No. 1

3) Da'Quan Bowers *, Clemson DE 6-4 277
Analysis: The draft's most gifted pass-rusher, Bowers didn't work out in Indy, but injury concerns are still minor. Potential to go 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. Last week: No. 2

4) Marcell Dareus *, Alabama DE 6-3 319
Analysis: Bigger than listed, Dareus is a solid penetrator with pass-rush skills to burn and a good motor; a high-character kid. Also scheme-versatile. Last week: No. 8

5) Von Miller, Texas A&M LB 6-3 246
Analysis: He's more than a sack artist. Has shown coverage skills that complement known pass-rush production. Fits a 3-4. Great Indy workouts. Last week: No. 6

6) A.J. Green *, Georgia WR 6-4 211
Analysis: Premier wideout in the draft. Good route-runner, great size and hands, and speed is fine. A complete player. Last week: No. 3

7) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 265
Analysis: Great natural pass-rusher, solid athlete, serious motor. Showed well in Indy, and looks like a good top-10 bet. Last week: No. 5

8) Blaine Gabbert *, Missouri QB 6-4 234
Analysis: Strong arm, excellent accuracy, prototypical size and physical skills. Smart not to throw in Indy, though proved he's probably an underrated athlete. Last week: No. 10

9) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-0 206
Analysis: Great instincts, finds the ball with good awareness and has good hands. Showed solid speed, and physically ready to start. Last week: No. 9

10) Cam Newton *, Auburn QB 6-6 250
Analysis: Extraordinary physical skills, underrated mechanics and accuracy. Combine workouts were a mix; needs to show more at pro day. Last week: No. 7

11) J.J. Watt *, Wisconsin DE 6-5 290
Analysis: Showed athleticism and versatility in Indy at full 290 pounds, also offers scheme-versatility. Great motor and plenty of smarts. Last week: No. 12

12) Mark Ingram *, Alabama RB 5-9 215
Analysis: Draft is short in elite backs. Great pad level, explodes from contact, a terror on second level; 40 time not a huge concern, that's not his game. Last week: No. 11

13) Julio Jones *, Alabama WR 6-3 220
Analysis: Dominant when healthy; still really good when he's not. Worked out brilliantly, but will still have some durability concerns. Last week: No. 15

14) Cameron Jordan, California DE 6-4 287
Analysis: Frame and skills capable of handling either 3-4 or 4-3 DE duty. Proved that he has top athleticism and speed for position. Last week: No. 17

15) Muhammad Wilkerson *, Temple DT 6-4 315
Analysis: Continues rise. Scheme-flexible, disruptive, strong penetrator. Ideal 3-4 DE. Thought he could be top-10 pick next year, getting close for 2011. Last week: No. 19

16) Corey Liuget *, Illinois DT 6-2 298
Analysis: Reads game well; strong against the run or the pass. Good leverage, disruptive, not elite pass-rusher. Solid workouts. Last week: No. 21

17) Aldon Smith *, Missouri OLB 6-4 263
Analysis: Ideal frame and athleticism to consider for edge in 4-3 or 3-4; still developing but loaded with upside. No major surprises in his workouts. Last week: No. 22

18) Tyron Smith * OT6-5307 Analysis: A future blindside tackle. Good frame, athleticism and quickness, but gets a push. Bigger than expected in Indy. Last week: No. 16

19) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6-3 281
Analysis: Better fit for 4-3 DE. Really good motor; batters O-linemen. Needs to refine rush skills; gets very high marks from those he's gone against. Last week: No. 20

20) Jimmy Smith, Colorado CB 6-2 211
Analysis: Late riser from a bad team. Shutdown corner. Worked out very well in Indy considering his length. Now the likely third corner off the draft board. Last week: No. 18

21) Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE 6-4 267
Analysis: Led nation with 26 TFL and was impossible to block, even with double-teams. Considered tweener, but showed good athleticism in Indy. Last week: No. 25

22) Nate Solder, Colorado OT 6-8 319
Analysis: A physical specimen, has great length, and has added bulk to his long frame. Could be moved along offensive line. Not dominant in workout phase. Last week: No. 15

23) Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT 6-7 306
Analysis: Smart, reliable with solid footwork, but could add lower-body strength and overall bulk to improve leverage. Consistent worker; smart player. Last week: No. 23

24) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 314
Analysis: A solid year of tape, battling a number of high draft picks. Better footwork, added consistency. Excellent frame; could be moved along the line. Last week: No. 24

25) Christian Ballard, Iowa DE 6-4 283
Analysis: Considered a tweener along D-line, I think Ballard can be a strongside 4-3 DE. Quick player, explodes from stance, could add rush skills. Last week: NR

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wonder if it burns Melsy up that Mayock gets to be at the combine and offer analysis, and now Mel has to come in behind Mayock to offer his insight and kind of rendering Mel irrelevant.

sbk92

Reaction score
I wonder if it burns Melsy up that Mayock gets to be at the combine and offer analysis, and now Mel has to come in behind Mayock to offer his insight and kind of rendering Mel irrelevant.

Considering Mel probably makes twice what that fraud Mayock makes, I doubt it.

There's only one original.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Considering Mel probably makes twice what that fraud Mayock makes, I doubt it.

There's only one original.

Doesn't matter if ESPN pays Mel more. Fact is, all those who watched the combine was taking it in from Mayock, and not Mel.

sbk92

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if ESPN pays Mel more. Fact is, all those who watched the combine was taking it in from Mayock, and not Mel.

Who gives a shat?

I watched it. And had zero respect for his hired opinion of players. They might as well have had you on there, it would have meant the same thing to me.

I doubt Mel Kiper Jr., the original draft gangster, gives a moment's thought to some hired ham and egg failed Philly media member like Mayock.

He's a fraud. Who impresses simpletons.

C

Cr122

Not having a good combine hurt my boy Ayers. I hope he's faking it. :awkward

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who gives a shat?

I watched it. And had zero respect for his hired opinion of players. They might as well have had you on there, it would have meant the same thing to me.

I doubt Mel Kiper Jr., the original draft gangster, gives a moment's thought to some hired ham and egg failed Philly media member like Mayock.

He's a fraud. Who impresses simpletons.

Just like who gives a shat about Mel. He looked so pathetic last year like he was going to cry because Clausen didn't drafted in the 1st. He's more wrong than right. Original gangsta...LOL!!! Yeah you really down now! OG!

sbk92

Reaction score
Just like who gives a shat about Mel. He looked so pathetic last year like he was going to cry because Clausen didn't drafted in the 1st. He's more wrong than right. Original gangsta...LOL!!! Yeah you really down now! OG!

Ah, so you just hate Mel and wanted to imagine a scenario where he gives a shat about a copy cat fake draft guru like the lisping fag Mike Mayock.

Noted.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ah, so you just hate Mel and wanted to imagine a scenario where he gives a shat about a copy cat fake draft guru like the lisping fag Mike Mayock.

Noted.

A lisping fag...? I guess there are different types of fags and only a fag---like yourself, would know the difference. Have at it.

Top Bottom