C

Cr122

Cowboys Nation Mock 6.0: Pre-Combine Edition

Posted by Rafael at Thursday, February 24, 2011
Note: The Indy Combine revs up this weekend and will surely shake up the boards. Wes is in Indy and we've put off our weekly chat until today, to get you the most up-to-date chat. As always, leave your comments and questions in the thread.

Now, with a mock that will likely be obsolete by Sunday. I'm going to stay put this week and see if value comes to me:

Round 1: Tyron Smith, OT, USC -- I've never looked forward to a weigh in and workout as much as I do to his. If he's 310 lbs. or heavier, I think Smith firms a spot on Dallas' short list. The Cowboys should have trade down options, and I won't complain if they leave the first with a player like Gabe Carimi or Derek Sherrod. At nine, they may get their pick of the tackles. Will Tryon Smith's workout give them a reason to stay there?

Round 2: Danny Watkins, G, Baylor -- He's been a hot name for a few weeks. Offensive tackles are more valuable than guards. Consequently, guards tend to fall a bit on draft day. Mike Iuputi was an exception last year, but he was about 15-20 lbs. heavier than Watkins and a few years younger.

This is shaping up as the most interesting Cowboys pick, in my opinion. The Cowboys could have a number of enticing players to choose from. There are many quality players in the 30-40 range and at least one of these guys will probably slide: Phil Taylor, Watkins, Ben Ijalana, or Rahim Moore. Titus Young, Aaron Williams and Jason Pinkston could also be available, meaning the Cowboys could go in a variety of directions and still acquire a player who fills a major need.

Round 3: Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa. He's fallen off the radar lately, and is now a guy who could be sitting at the top of the third. He's physically gifted, went to a major program and has no character concerns, unlike a few of the other DL prospects rated in this range. He'll need some work, but he would be a massive piece of clay for new D-line coach Brian Baker to mold.

Round 4: Ryan Jones, CB, Northwest Missouri State. This year's corner crop is deep and Jones looks like 2011's Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, a talented but raw small-school guy who will require some patience but who could produce if he takes to pro coaching.

Round 5: Henry Hynoski, FB, Pitt -- Another pick where need and value could converge. The Cowboys have been looking for a big-time lead blocker for years and this year offers the deepest fullback crop in a while. Hynoski is the best thumper; he lists at 265 lbs. and likes to mix it up. The fullback run should start somewhere in the late 4th to early 5th. A linebacker blaster like Hynoski and John Phillips' return would add some muscle to Dallas' inside running game.

Round 6 -- Delone Carter, RB, Syracuse -- He fits the Marion Barber//Tashard Choice template the Cowboys prefer; he's powerful, runs hard and can catch and block. Not an elite back, but does everything well. Will probably drop a bit on draft day, because running backs tend to fall, and because Carter had some off-the-field issues in school. Here, he's worth the risk.

Round 7 -- Take it, it's yours.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's not a bad draft at all. But I think that maybe we could trade down a few spots and get an extra 2nd and still get Tyron. I like the Ballard pick in the 3rd, but if possible, rather get Kenrick Ellis. I'd be alright with Watkins, would like Cannon for G. Not feeling the Ryan Jones pick. But, certainly not a bad draft. One of the better ones that I've seen. I like the Hynoski and Caerter pick.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
That's not a bad draft at all. But I think that maybe we could trade down a few spots and get an extra 2nd and still get Tyron. I like the Ballard pick in the 3rd, but if possible, rather get Kenrick Ellis. I'd be alright with Watkins, would like Cannon for G. Not feeling the Ryan Jones pick. But, certainly not a bad draft. One of the better ones that I've seen. I like the Hynoski and Caerter pick.

If the team really thought about moving Ratliff to DE, then the Ellis pick (or Taylor in the 2nd round) would make sense, but if anything it appears that Ratliff will be staying at NT.

That being said the Ballard pick makes sense.

I would like to see a safety drafted though.

sbk92

Reaction score
You take Tyron in the first round and you have to move Free to RT. And that would mean you would have to approach him in FA as a RT. That drops his value.

sbk92

Reaction score
If the team really thought about moving Ratliff to DE, then the Ellis pick (or Taylor in the 2nd round) would make sense, but if anything it appears that Ratliff will be staying at NT.

Ya know what really makes sense?

Taking the best player regardless of need.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Appears on what? Ryan's say so?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
LOL!

Yeah, gosh, like who's Ryan anyway? Just the DC.

You misunderstood me. I know what Ryan has said about not moving Ratliff from NT, and that may very well turn out to be the case. But on the flip-side, it'd be foolish to expect him to say otherwise even if it were to be the case. Do you really expect Ryan to come out and say, "Well we are going to be moving Ratliff to DE full time, and so we probably will be drafting an NT." I mean yeah, go ahead and divulge your draft strategy.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Why would we want another Owusu Ansah?

Don't like drafting fullbacks, esp if it's not a big part of the offense.

The rest is very solid.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You misunderstood me. I know what Ryan has said about not moving Ratliff from NT, and that may very well turn out to be the case. But on the flip-side, it'd be foolish to expect him to say otherwise even if it were to be the case. Do you really expect Ryan to come out and say, "Well we are going to be moving Ratliff to DE full time, and so we probably will be drafting an NT." I mean yeah, go ahead and divulge your draft strategy.

From that perspective you are correct.

I guess we'll know here in a couple of months which way the wind is blowing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You take Tyron in the first round and you have to move Free to RT. And that would mean you would have to approach him in FA as a RT. That drops his value.

Maybe, but Smith could play RT as a rookie or for a yr or two, then the two swap sides. I'm guessing they'd rather play the vet at LT. Unless of course the kid is lights out in camp and preseason.

I guess he weighed in at 307 and did 29 reps with those vines for arms. With his feet, overall athletic ability and solid technique I think he'd be a great addition to our team whether he plays LT or RT.

I know one thing, I like our OL a hell of alot better with Free and Smith manning the tackle spots (regardless of who lines up where) than Free and Colombo.

Top Bottom