Reaction score
Cam Newton Thinks He’ll be Drafted by Dallas Cowboys
Posted by Jeric Griffin February 24, 2011
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...nks_hell_be_drafted_by_dallas_cowboys/4231236

Apparently, ESPNDallas’ Randy Galloway was on to something when he said the Cowboys should and probably will draft Auburn Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Cam Newton with the No. 9 overall pick in this year’s NFL draft. Newton recently dropped by Fort Worth to accept his Davey O’Brien Award, the trophy that annually goes to the nation’s top quarterback. While in DFW, Newton was interviewed by WFAA, the Dallas ABC affiliate. He seemed somewhat optimistic the Cowboys are more interested in him than most people think.
When asked about the possibility of being a top 10 draft pick and playing for the Cowboys, Newton was nonchalantly confident. “Jerry Jones, man he knows how to get hold of me; let’s just say that,” Newton said.

Whoa, Newton! This kid thinks he’s the greatest thing since electronic playbooks. He may be on top of the college football world right now, but that’s over. The next time he steps on a football field, it will be at the NFL level. Randal Cunningham, Michael Vick, and I are here to tell him that quarterbacks don’t survive the big time by running the ball 20 times per game.

“I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon,” Newton said.

First of all, no one in the sports world is an icon except Michael Jordan. The last time I checked, he’s the only athlete that is being considered as the star of the new logo of a professional sports team. An icon? Really? This kid needs a reality check and I hope he’s a top 10 pick, so he will get just that.

Now I definitely don’t want him in a Dallas uniform. He’s way overrated and will never be an elite quarterback in the NFL. If we’re going to pull an Aaron Rodgers, we need to draft a quarterback with real NFL potential while we still have Tony Romo. We dang sure don’t need to waste the No. 9 overall pick on a quarterback when there are so many needs on this team.

As far as Newton is concerned, I’d be a very happy man if he got taken first overall come April. His head would then increase from a size 10 grand to half a million. Then he would arrive in Carolina and experience the worst football season of his life. Boy, he’d be an icon then.

I’m sure Jones does know how to get a hold of Newton. He knows how to get a hold of just about everybody with half a reputation in the sports world. That doesn’t mean we’re going to draft the Terrell Owens of quarterbacks and ruin our chances for a Super Bowl in the next few seasons. “An icon.” Please.

Top Bottom