sbk92

Reaction score
In line for an NFL combine boost

Players who could solidify or really see their stock jump at the NFL combine this week

Kiper_Mel_35.jpg

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

ins_u_smithlittle_576.jpg

Aldon Smith is looking to raise his profile; Greg Little is looking to regain his.

As much as it's become more of an NFL gathering for all kinds of talk rather than a pure prospect-based evaluation period, stock still moves up and down quickly at the NFL combine. For the prospects, as much as it gets downplayed, those 40 times seem to live forever. Guys can increase their strength to a great degree over the next few years, but that 225-pound bench-press total is another thing we always remember.

With that in mind, here's a look at the prospects whom I think have the most to gain this week, notably from a performance standpoint. I tried to focus mainly on the upper half of the draft, because to discuss the possible seventh-round grades that could jump to the middle rounds, and vice versa, would be pretty endless. That said, I also threw in some guys who could move way up. For most of these guys, there's still a chance to jump because there are still questions to answer, both about them and about their peers. So here are guys looking to solidify a first-round grade, and others trying to make a leap.

Solidify a grade

Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
For a guy that's still considered a lock for the top half of the first round, Quinn still needs to show scouts something. After sitting out his junior season, he has some great tape but nothing recent. While his explosiveness jumps off the tape, will he show rust? If Quinn shows well, it'll be proof that he was working hard all year and not taking for granted the fact that he was once a possible No. 1 overall pick.

Tyron Smith, OT, USC
Smith's stock has gone up since he decided to forgo a senior season in Los Angeles. He has solid athleticism, great footwork and is a better run-blocker than people believe. If he shows off good strength numbers and doesn't create any nerves because of a less-than-mammoth frame, he could be the No. 1 left tackle prospect on the board. Even in a light class at the position, those guys don't last long on draft day.

Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
If Smith shows enough size mixed with athleticism to be either a top developmental prospect at 4-3 defensive end, or immediate help as a 3-4 outside linebacker, he won't last past the 20th pick on draft day. He needs some polish, but could be a physical freak that wows personnel folks.

Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
Liuget has seen his stock come up, but he could show more explosiveness. If he improves in that area, he could solidify a first-round grade. For all the defensive tackles, there'll be a sense of competitiveness, because the class is so deep. They need to show their best stuff.

Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
This is a guy who, perhaps with Jerrel Jernigan of Troy, could run the fastest 40 in Indy. I think if he's right near the top of that group, he's pretty safe with a late-first round grade. If not, he isn't quite what guys like A.J. Green and Julio Jones can offer in terms of physical play, and he could fall a little.

Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
Houston has the size and pass-rushing skills to become a solid 3-4 outside linebacker, but his reputation isn't as set in stone, since he showed a lot of development just this year, and his body of work isn't quite there with that of the other top outside linebackers. With a good showing he could assure himself of a first-round grade on a lot of boards.

Make the leap

Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana
The Indiana wideout saw his stock really jump in the all-star games, and now scouts have a better feel for him. If he runs really well, he has a chance to leapfrog into the mix for the third wide receiver (and likely first-round pick) on draft day. If he doesn't show a lot of explosiveness, he could fall to a late-second or third-round range.

Christian Ballard, DL, Iowa
The lesser-known of the Iowa defensive linemen, Ballard is a potential first-round pick that could go higher if scouts feel he's versatile enough to handle positions in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. He could move ahead of another similarly considered player like Ohio State's Cameron Heyward.

Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
A really aggressive corner, Williams has a reputation as a playmaker, but also a risk-taker who trusts his gut as much as his technique. Scouts who see a great technical performance might be more enthusiastic about making Williams the third or fourth corner off the board late in Round 1.

Greg Little, WR, North Carolina
Coming off a great 2009 season, Little got wrapped up in the scandal at North Carolina and missed out on this past season. The obvious concerns are there regarding whether his burst is adequate, because his hands -- he catches the ball away from the body consistently -- size and ability to stretch the field and understand coverages are strengths.

Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
This is a player who has a lot more talent than I think he's shown all the time. Coming off a neck injury that basically cost him all of 2009, you could perhaps excuse some rust. If he can really impress as a physical talent, I think it could ease some performance concerns and move him up into mid-to-high-second round consideration.

Aiming for a big jump

Rob Housler, TE, Florida Atlantic
It just isn't a loaded class at tight end, and Housler is a guy who could make a big jump amid this class if his physical skills impress.

Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
That school has turned out some talent from the defensive backfield, and Burton could run his way into the mix to be among the top five corners drafted.

Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh
Guards are never going to get a lot of ink at the combine, but Rackley could help somebody next year, so this will be a big week for him.

Cortez Allen, CB, The Citadel
Buried way down on many lists of top corners, Allen has a chance to jump into the mix like former teammate Andre Roberts did last year.

Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
Another guard whom I think could be a lot closer to stepping in immediately if a team sees what I do and gets him.

Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno St
Even in a deep class at this position, Carter could show off the physical skills that move him up the board.

Top Bottom