sdogo

Reaction score
ROUND 1.17(Trade Down)
J.J. Watt | DE | Wisconsin

Analysis
(courtesy of CBS Sports)

Pass rush: Relentless rushing the passer in obvious passing situations whether lined up inside or outside. Gets extra attention from opponents. Most dangerous when anticipating the snap and swimming over guards/centers inside. Spins off blocks to get outside after initial contact or pushes through doubles inside. Gets his hands into throwing lanes. Agile enough to twist inside. Knocks tight end off route before making his rush. Often lined up outside the tackle, can bull-rush and get corner at times against college right tackles but needs to continue improving his flexibility to beat NFL blockers.

Run defense: Active against the run. Able to stack and shed to get to outside runs, and is strong and agile enough to move down the line to be involved in inside runs. Displays some nice change-of-direction ability for his size to mirror ballcarriers trying to elude. Gives very good effort containing misdirection and bootlegs on the edge, though quicker NFL ballcarriers will beat him to the edge. When inside, has quickness to penetrate and gets his hands up quickly to maintain distance from the blocker but fails to keep his body square to the line and gets pushed out of the play.

Explosion: Flashes quickness off the snap and willingness to pop and knock back opponents. Able to penetrate gaps with a nice first step and works through double-teams with aggressiveness when lined up inside. Has enough closing speed. Lacks an explosive first step. He is still considered an explosive player on every down because he has arguably the strongest punch and most effective hands in this draft.

Strength: Flashes strength to shed blocks and bull through double teams, but must gain muscle in both his upper and lower body to hold his ground at the next level. Can be pushed off the line by double teams, typically when turned sideways. Works with his hands against blockers, looks to potentially be good in this area. Can play too high when lined up inside to win the leverage battle.

Tackling: High-effort tackler with long arms and growing strength. Gets low despite his height to mirror and wrap up ballcarriers. Quarterbacks do not want to feel his explosive tackling in the backfield. Doesn't leave his feet, though he stretches to make a lot of ankle tackles other linemen couldn't make.

Intangibles:
Excellent character and work ethic. Won the Lott IMPACT Award for integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community and tenacity among college defenders. Began the Justin J. Watt Foundation to help schools fund athletic programs, does quite a bit of community work. Academic All-Big Ten in 2009 and 2010. Brother Derek is scheduled to play football at UW in 2011.

Follow the link for the rest
http://itiscowboys.blogspot.com/

sbk92

Reaction score
I would sign off on that class right now. Not everything I want, but it never is. If you get just some of you want in an NFL draft consider yourself lucky.

My biggest issue is Watt at 17. I know some people have him higher. Kiper has him going 6 in his latest mock. I don't think he's that kind of player and wouldn't consider him in the top 20.

But he's at least a safe selection. He's got a very low bust rate and DE needs to be addressed in this draft. It's as critical as the offensive line.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Very safe, solid draft. I'd be disappointed because we basically drafted JAG's but we would have filled a lot of holes. 4th round RB seems like a pretty big reach. I'm not impressed with Martez Wilson at all (I know some are high on him). The 2012 Draft is dripping with ILB's so I don't want to draft a lesser guy who won't even see the field in 2011.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Don't like it whatsoever. The offseason plan of keeping Colombo, Davis, and re-signing Kosier. Brilliant. Give this man a Guiness. And the draft is worse. No to this J.J. Watts. I'm cool with the Deunta Williams but he will nto be there in the 4th. Prefer Greg Little at WR than the one you selected, and Shepperd for ILB. The bells and whistles and pretty colors and pictures are nice but I want no part of that.

sdogo

Reaction score
Don't like it whatsoever. The offseason plan of keeping Colombo, Davis, and re-signing Kosier. Brilliant. Give this man a Guiness.
You have a problem with the wrong guy. Take it up with Jerry, Jason, Hudson and company. They were the one eluding to the possibility but you failed to notice I still tried to address the OL. Thew thing is, we are going to have a fan base of 80% pissed of people when Dallas fails to draft a OT in the 1st round again.

And the draft is worse. No to this J.J. Watts. I'm cool with the Deunta Williams but he will nto be there in the 4th. Prefer Greg Little at WR than the one you selected, and Shepperd for ILB.

So what your saying is you have a problem with my prospects similar to the way I have a problem with the one's you mentioned. Go figure

The bells and whistles and pretty colors and pictures are nice but I want no part of that.

Thanks for the input and once again making it clear, opinions are like assholes, we all have one. I also apologize for putting more then 5 minutes into a mock by naming 7 guys and pretending I put any thought into it. If your in to lists with no thought more power to you.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You have a problem with the wrong guy. Take it up with Jerry, Jason, Hudson and company. They were the one eluding to the possibility but you failed to notice I still tried to address the OL. Thew thing is, we are going to have a fan base of 80% pissed of people when Dallas fails to draft a OT in the 1st round again.

I'm not saying that they need to draft an OT in the 1st round. But they do need to draft an OT and I would prefer in either the 2nd or 3rd. I just don't want Colombo. This is where Romo needs to speak up---not publicly though, and go to Garrett and Jones and explain that he needs a better Oline period.

So what your saying is you have a problem with my prospects similar to the way I have a problem with the one's you mentioned. Go figure.

Evidently. This is a forum. You put alot of thought into your mock, and that's fine. Not everybody is going to like it. Don't take it personal.

Thanks for the input and once again making it clear, opinions are like assholes, we all have one. I also apologize for putting more then 5 minutes into a mock by naming 7 guys and pretending I put any thought into it. If your in to lists with no thought more power to you.

You misunderstanding me, and I apologize for the bells and whistle comment. But other than the Sherrod and Williams pick, I do not care for the rest of the players listed. I'm cool with the Moffit pick, be a decent consolation prize if Marcus Cannon is gone. The Sherrod and Williams picks are gold, although realistically, do you think Williams will be there in the 4th? But if we were to trade down, I'd rather get Jordan instead of Watt. Now a 1st of Jordan, 2nd Sherrod, 2nd Williams---I think he goes here before the 4th, 3rd get Moffit or better yet Cannon, 4th Shepperd, and 4th Greg Little. 5th why not get an NT? And the 6th, how about a true FB? I hope the Gronkowski experiment is over. He freaking cost us both Romo and Bryant for the seasons with his missed blocks.

sdogo

Reaction score
I'm not saying that they need to draft an OT in the 1st round. But they do need to draft an OT and I would prefer in either the 2nd or 3rd. I just don't want Colombo. This is where Romo needs to speak up---not publicly though, and go to Garrett and Jones and explain that he needs a better Oline period.

Well I'm not going to argue with you there. I think we need to address the OL and I would prefer to see Columbo replaced but I'm not so sure Dallas feels the same way.

Evidently. This is a forum. You put alot of thought into your mock, and that's fine. Not everybody is going to like it. Don't take it personal.

I dont take it personal, I just like to have specific reasons to defend myself. Too often people like to chime in with, "this sucks" like a hit and run with out giving any argument for their feelings.

You misunderstanding me, and I apologize for the bells and whistle comment. But other than the Sherrod and Williams pick, I do not care for the rest of the players listed. I'm cool with the Moffit pick, be a decent consolation prize if Marcus Cannon is gone. The Sherrod and Williams picks are gold, although realistically, do you think Williams will be there in the 4th? But if we were to trade down, I'd rather get Jordan instead of Watt. Now a 1st of Jordan, 2nd Sherrod, 2nd Williams---I think he goes here before the 4th, 3rd get Moffit or better yet Cannon, 4th Shepperd, and 4th Greg Little. 5th why not get an NT? And the 6th, how about a true FB? I hope the Gronkowski experiment is over. He freaking cost us both Romo and Bryant for the seasons with his missed blocks.

I actually had Cannon and changed it at the last minute. I like him as well. As far as Williams, I even took him a round before where most are still projecting him. You have to remember, he missed 4 games last season to suspension then broke his leg in the Music City Bowl which will cause him to not only miss all of the pre draft festivities but very well could cost him time in training camp.

It's funny that you also mentioned Little because he was on my short list as well. I have had no issues with any of the prospects you have mentioned. They would be fine to swap out with any of the players I chose.

I avoided a NT because I simply 100% do not believe the Cowboys have any intention of drafting or signing one. It's been made perfectly clear Ratliff is not going to face a position change, the Cowboys spent a supplemental pick on Josh Price-Brent who they really like and lastly, Rob Ryan's scheme unlike most 3-4 just often does not call for the 350 pound anchor in the middle. That player, ala Shaun Rogers often find himself lined up at a slant DE anyways.

I understand your dislike of Gronkowski and one of my pet cats in this draft is Owen Marecic who I would love to have but the Garrett's offense simply does not call for a true FB but more of a H-Back type role. As much as many of us would like to see a Daryl Johnston in the backfield Garrett perfers to use TE's in FB roles and they seem to be a little higher on Gronkowski then any of the fans are.

sbk92

Reaction score
If we're not interested in replacing Colombo, then I don't know what the hell these guys are looking at. He's one of the worst RTs in all of football and won't be any different next year.

Reaction score
If we're not interested in replacing Colombo, then I don't know what the hell these guys are looking at. He's one of the worst RTs in all of football and won't be any different next year.

He'll be different...another year older and worse.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Not enamored with JJ Watt. Sounds like another Anthony Spencer. Quick, but not explosive, unless you are counting the hand punch.

I take that back, I don't care if he's not explosive, but he can play. I like it.

Last edited:

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I would think that would be a solid draft. Addressing multiple needs without reaching for a player. This would beat the usual JJ method of trading back to pick up a who the hell player from a small school to make himself look smart draft. JJ Watt might be a little bit of a headscratcher but at #17 would be a good pickup barring someone else stock didn't take a little bit of a tumble.

sdogo

Reaction score
I really never expected J.J. Watts to be a fan favorite right now. Even for a DE pick he is not flashy or sexy but what he is seems to be everything this team needs. He is high character, a leader, has a non stop motor and is simply a football player. He's not going to put up 8-10 sacks a year but he's going to give 110% every play and you can stick him at DE from day 1 and forget about him. He's going to do what is asked of him, he's going to play with in the scheme and he's going to make players around him better.

Simply put, he is a 10 year starter, a foundation of a defense, a locker room leader and one of those players that will always be respected but never truly appreciated till you don't have him.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm still not sold. When I think top 10 overall draft pick, which is what we start with, I don't think of a guy whose claim to fame is he plays hard.

Top Bottom