Reaction score
Former LSU CB Patrick Peterson: 'I want to run a 4.2' at Combine
PUBLISHED Thursday, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm EST
Vinnie Iyer SN Icon Sporting News

20089-650-366.jpg

Patrick Peterson was one of the nation's most decorated defensive players as a junior in 2010, winning the Thorpe and Bednarik Award, and his all-around skills also make him one of the top cornerback prospects for the '11 NFL Draft. Peterson talked to Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer recently about how he's preparing for the NFL Scouting Combine, his goal to blow away observers with his speed and what skills he must improve.

Q: What are you goals as you continue to prepare for the '11 draft?
Former LSU CB Patrick Peterson: 'I want to run a 4.2' at Combine His all-around skills make Patrick Peterson one of the top cornerback prospects for the '11 NFL Draft. The former LSU star talks with Vinnie Iyer about his goal to blow away observers with his speed.

A: Just keep working hard—working with my father to get where I want to be. I've set pretty high goals going into the Combine. I want to run a 4.2 (seconds in the 40-yard dash), something a corner probably never did. I set a high standard for myself, and I hold myself to it.

Q: What's the most important lesson you took from your final season at LSU?

A: I learned that I had to be more a student of the game. This year, I watched more film than I ever did in the past. I was more patient. I was more confident in myself—not that I didn't have confidence before—it just went to another level this year. That helped me raise my game to another level.

Q: How does it feel to be a coveted cornerback in what looks a defensive top-heavy draft?

A: It's a blessing to be in this position. I just thank my parents for raising me to be the best young man I can be. My dad trained me all my life, showing me the game of football. Now we just have to wait to see what April 28 (the first day of the draft) brings.

Q: Can you provide a scouting report on your playing style for NFL fans who haven't seen you play?

A: First, I would say I'm physical. Then, I would say I'm smart, fast and quick. I've got pretty good hips. I think my technique is pretty sound. I try to keep working on all the little things each and every day that helped me become that much of a better corner on Saturdays—now on Sundays.

Q: What do you consider to be a weakness in your game?

A: A lot of people say my backpedaling speed is pretty slow, but I don't know—that's just what they tell me. That's kind of something I work on more now. I have sound footwork—I just have to be quicker with my backpedal.

Q: What you have learned from watching All-Pros such as Nnamdi Asomugha and Darrelle Revis? Some scouts even compare you to Charles Woodson. Have you had a chance to pick their brain?

A: I have texted Charles Woodson a couple times. He's a pretty cool guy, a down-to-earth guy. He definitely wants to see a young man like myself make it, just like he made it. I definitely try to watch as much film as possible on those guys to see how they elevate their games and play corner so well.

Q: How would you describe your personality off the field and how that complements your mentality on the field?

A: I'm down-to-earth guy and a family guy. I love to be around family. On the field, I'm workaholic—I love nothing more than working hard. I just want to be the best man and football player I can be, to provide my team with turnovers and put the offense in good field position.

Top-10 cornerbacks

Russ Lande and his team of former NFL scouts ranks Peterson as the No. 2 prospect at this position. Here is a look at the top 10 cornerbacks heading into the NFL Scouting Combine workouts:

1. Jimmy Smith, Colorado

2. Patrick Peterson, LSU

3. Prince Amukamara, Nebraska

4. Ras-I Dowling, Virginia

5. Ryan Hill, Miami (Fla.)

6. Rahad Carmichael, Virginia Tech

7. Curtis Brown, Texas

8. Aaron Williams, Texas

9. Kendric Burney, North Carolina

10. Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...n-i-want-to-run-a-42-at-combine#ixzz1EQyVHSkf

sbk92

Reaction score
You do that.

And I'll have the same zero interest in you that I do now.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
First time I seen Jimmy Smith ranked higher.

Does Russ Lande have any credibility?

Sounds to me that he is trying to stand out. What would be the point if he had his ranking the same as everyone else in regards to the top 2 CBs in this draft? The attempt is to be outlandish and get people to talk about his ranking/him.

Plymkr

Reaction score
40 times are stupid.

I don't care how fast a puke is. Can he play football? That is what I want to know. There is 40 time and their is game speed.

40 times are a joke and mean nothing.

Top Bottom