sbk92

Reaction score
Big Board adds new names

The top looks familiar, but Cam Newton makes his move on latest Big Board

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

People don't realize the tremendous amount of evaluation that goes on between the period between the final game of the college season and the NFL combine. Often referred to as a dead period, it's actually a huge time for studying a lot of tape, talking to coaches who both taught and faced these players, plus the typical note-trading with scouts and evaluators all over football. Bottom line: Never be surprised to see changes at this stage, and that's before the combine, which is just two weeks away.

Among the big movers this week is Cam Newton, who I debuted in the top 10, only to see him fall and then bounce back up as the scouting depth grows. Another big jumper is Jimmy Smith, who colleague Todd McShay really liked during the Senior Bowl and who was quietly dominant all season at Colorado. For the rest, read on. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with asterisks.

1) Nick Fairley *, Auburn DT 6-5 310
Analysis: He's in great position, so you'd doubt he does full workouts in Indy. A force all season, even when not 100 percent; no defense he can't perform in. Last week: No. 1

2) Da'Quan Bowers *, Clemson DE 6-4 277
Analysis: The draft's most gifted pass-rusher, even in a deep class. Suited to work down in a 4-3 or standing up in a 3-4. Great skills, great motor.Last week: No. 2

3) A.J. Green *, Georgia WR 6-4 207
Analysis: Premier wideout in the draft. Good route-runner, great size, hands and speed is fine. A complete player. Last week: No. 3

4) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-1 211
Analysis: An extraordinary athlete, Peterson has safety size and elite speed at corner. A starter even as he develops. Dangerous returner as well. Last week: No. 4

5) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 267
Analysis: Great natural pass-rusher, solid athlete, serious motor. Expect that he'll continue to shine in pre-draft workout process. Last week: No. 7

6) Von Miller, Texas A&M LB 6-3 243
Analysis: Miller proved to scouts that he's more than a sack artist. Showed coverage skills that complement known pass-rush production. Fits a 3-4. Last week: No. 8

7) Cam Newton *, Auburn QB 6-6 250
Analysis: He needs refinement, but extraordinary physical skills, underrated mechanics and accuracy combined with a winner's mentality are there. Last week: No. 13

8) Marcell Dareus *, Alabama DE 6-3 306
Analysis: A solid penetrator with pass-rush skills to burn, good motor and a high character kid. I can see him becoming a solid 3-4 DE if he's not a 4-3 DT. Last week: No. 5

9) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-1 202
Analysis: Great instincts, finds the ball with good awareness and has good hands. A blanket in coverage. Ready to start. Last week: No. 6

10) Blaine Gabbert *, Missouri QB 6-5 232
Analysis: Strong arm, excellent accuracy, prototype size and physical skills. Gabbert may lead the ready-to-start category; will be under the microscope. Last week: No. 9

11) Mark Ingram *, Alabama RB 5-10 216
Analysis: Stock up in a draft short on elite backs. Great pad level, explodes from contact, a terror once he hits the second level. Speed scores will be big. Last week: No. 17

12) J.J. Watt *, Wisconsin DE 6-6 286
Analysis: Versatile with great instincts and motor, a good penetrator capable of duty in 3-4 or 4-3 as a defensive end. Rising. Last week: No. 21

13) Nate Solder, Colorado OT 6-9 313
Analysis: A physical specimen, has great length, ability to add bulk to chiseled frame. Should shine in workout phase. Could be moved along offensive line. Last week: No. 10

14) Akeem Ayers *, UCLA OLB 6-4 251
Analysis: Long, with ideal OLB build, skills for 3-4 at next level. Underrated pass-rush skills, great athleticism. Can drop and cover and tackles well. Last week: No. 11

15) Julio Jones *, Alabama WR 6-4 211
Analysis: Dominant when healthy; still good when not. Improved concentration and hands. Can stretch field or work underneath. Great blocker.Last week: No. 12

16) Tyron Smith *, USC OT 6-5 290
Analysis: Could become top blindside tackle. Good frame, athleticism and quickness; run-blocks better than athletic frame would indicate. Last week: No. 19

17) Cameron Jordan, California DE 6-4 283
Analysis: Frame and skills capable of handing either 3-4 or 4-3 DE duty. Good instincts and pass-rush skills. Strong vs. run. Last week: No. 14

18) Jimmy Smith, Colorado CB 6-2 204
Analysis: Late riser as film stacks up. Shutdown corner, and expected to run well in Indy. Elite size for the position; now the likely third corner off board. Last week: NR

19) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6-3 282
Analysis: Good size, capable of playing 3-4 DE. Good motor; batters O-linemen. Needs to refine rush skills; down year for sacks but has respect of scouts. Last week: No. 20

20) Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT 6-7 306
Analysis: Smart, reliable with solid footwork, but could add lower-body strength and overall bulk to improve leverage. Consistent worker; smart player. Last week: No. 22

21) Muhammad Wilkerson *, Temple DT 6-5 306
Analysis: Moving up among evaluators as they take a closer look. Scheme-flexible, disruptive, strong penetrator, could work in 3-4 or 4-3. Last week: No. 23

22) Aldon Smith *, Missouri OLB 6-4 262
Analysis: Ideal frame and athleticism to consider for edge in 4-3 or 3-4; has some raw elements but can rush the passer. Could develop into top pass-rusher. Last week: No. 15

23) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 327
Analysis: A solid year of tape, battling a number of high draft picks. Better footwork, added consistency. Excellent frame; could go LT or RT. Last week: No. 18

24) Corey Liuget *, Illinois DT 6-3 304
Analysis: Reads game well; strong against the run or the pass. Good leverage, disruptive, not elite pass-rusher. Draws double-teams. Last week: NR

25) Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE 6-4 259
Analysis: Extremely productive. Led nation with 26 TFL and was impossible to block, even with double-teams. Needs to confirm ideal position and scheme. Last week: No. 16

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think I've set my mind on Patrick Peterson (trade up), Tyron Smith, and Cameron Jordan for us.

I'd also be happy with Robert Quinn but if we do draft Quinn, I really hope we have a plan to trade Spencer worked out.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think I've set my mind on Patrick Peterson (trade up), Tyron Smith, and Cameron Jordan for us.

I'd also be happy with Robert Quinn but if we do draft Quinn, I really hope we have a plan to trade Spencer worked out.

Spencer's fine.

Top Bottom