sbk92

Reaction score
Could the move to free safety actually help his cause in the NFL?

Wes Bunting

Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara has been in the spotlight all season. He was ranked as one of the nation’s top senior prospects coming into the year and had a strong, yet not dominant, 2010 campaign. Therefore, the question that arises is: Is Amukamara worthy of a top-ten pick in the 2011 NFL draft?

My answer: No, and here’s why…

Amukamara is a talented defensive back. He’s got a good feel for the game, possesses natural balance and body control when asked to redirect and closes well on the football on passes in front of him without much wasted motion. He exhibits good coordination when asked to adjust to the throw, displays solid ball skills on all areas of the field and will tackle inside the box and in space. He looks comfortable in zone/off coverages as well and isn’t afraid to even play in the slot. Pretty much you have a versatile defensive back who can play all over the field, in just about any scheme and be a productive defensive back, which is exactly what I project him as at the next level.

However, that doesn’t mean he warrants a top-ten pick. Because if I am using a top-ten pick on a prospect, especially at the cornerback position, he better have some elite athletic qualities to his game and have the kind of ability to mature into a potential shutdown guy on the outside in the NFL. And in all honesty I can’t say I see any real exceptionally dynamic qualities to Amukamara’s game. He can be technically sound, but he isn’t overly physical off the line of scrimmage when asked to re-route in press. And the biggest concern is that he really has only average straight-line speed. He struggles to make up for a false step and too often will allow receivers to get behind him vertically down the field, failing to quickly get back up to speed and close out of his transition.

When watching tape of Nebraska this season I got the feeling that opposing receivers and offenses were more confident at times throwing the football at Amukamara than they were at his counterpart, CB Alfonzo Dennard, who was far and away the more physical of the two in press coverage. And my theory took on even more traction when talking with Nebraska wideout Niles Paul at the Senior Bowl and he confirmed what I saw on tape, commenting that is was Dennard who was the tougher corner to match up against in practice compared to Amukamara.

Now, this is in no way an article to say Amukamara can’t play at the next level. I just don’t think he’s worthy of the kind of pick a lot of media members assume he deserves and in my view he isn’t an elite level cornerback prospect because of his lacking straight-line speed.

There have been cornerback prospects in the past — Miami’s Antrel Rolle and Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins, for example — who both had slight straight-line speed concerns coming out, which kept them from ever developing into shutdown corners in the NFL. However, much like Amukamara, they were both natural, fluid football players with good ball skills, tackled well in all areas of the game and made the move to free safety, carving out very successful careers there.

Therefore, I do like the idea of a team looking at making the move for Amukamara as a potential safety prospect, since he may not have the straight-line speed to ever be an elite level corner. However, he’s got a very similar skill set to both Rolle and Jenkins and could add a lot of value to a defense with his versatility, as he would be able to play in centerfield, could line up over the slot and in the pass-first NFL and could end up being a more valuable player to his team as a versatile ball-hawking safety than as just a solid starting NFL corner, which is all I think he would be if he were to stay there.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Therefore, I do like the idea of a team looking at making the move for Amukamara as a potential safety prospect, since he may not have the straight-line speed to ever be an elite level corner. However, he’s got a very similar skill set to both Rolle and Jenkins and could add a lot of value to a defense with his versatility, as he would be able to play in centerfield, could line up over the slot and in the pass-first NFL and could end up being a more valuable player to his team as a versatile ball-hawking safety than as just a solid starting NFL corner, which is all I think he would be if he were to stay there.

Hey Lazarus Logan. Shut the **** up. lol snoochies.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You're forgetting the part where you wanted to do it in the top 10 of the draft and the guy you're quoting says he isn't worth it.

Yeah, but I haven't argued vehemently that he is a top 10 pick. I just said he would be a great option to convert to FS.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yeah, but I haven't argued vehemently that he is a top 10 pick. I just said he would be a great option to convert to FS.

Oh.

I thought I read you for weeks now trumpeting Prince as our hope for the 9th overall pick.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Oh.

I thought I read you for weeks now trumpeting Prince as our hope for the 9th overall pick.

I like him at #9, although not as much as Von Miller.

If someone were to tell me that he's all wrong at #9, I'm not going to stick to my guns and fight it. But Lazarus Logan assured me that he's nothing but a man corner.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like him at #9, although not as much as Von Miller.

If someone were to tell me that he's all wrong at #9, I'm not going to stick to my guns and fight it. But Lazarus Logan assured me that he's nothing but a man corner.

He is a man corner. Bunting and you have yours like I have mine and everyone else. No one else is projecting him as a safety but Bunting so far. You made the stupid comment awhile back on why Prince should be a safety because of his tackling/hitting, but Antoine Winfield of the Vikings is probably the best tackling CB in the league, but that does not qualify him to be a safety.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He is a man corner. Bunting and you have yours like I have mine and everyone else. No one else is projecting him as a safety but Bunting so far. You made the stupid comment awhile back on why Prince should be a safety because of his tackling/hitting, but Antoine Winfield of the Vikings is probably the best tackling CB in the league, but that does not qualify him to be a safety.

Dude, Antoine Winfield is tiny. It's a different animal tackling running backs and TEs.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dude, Antoine Winfield is tiny. It's a different animal tackling running backs and TEs.

So. You keep changing the criteria to fit your argument. And I've watched more of Winfield than yiou have and he's tackled both RBs and TEs. You do not waste a top 10 pick on a CB just to make him into a safety. You're thumping yoru chest because one other guy just happens to share your opinion. WOW.

sbk92

Reaction score
http://warroom.sportingnews.com/experts/russ-lande/blog/1110360.html

Draft Dish: Amukamara may end up at safety

Dec. 5, 2010

By Russ Lande
For Sporting News

Throughout the season, Nebraska's Prince Amukamara has been hyped as an elite, shutdown cornerback prospect even though he hasn't shown that type of ability on a consistent basis.

There is little doubt he is a quick, athletic corner with the size (6-1, 205), strength and toughness that NFL teams love. But there are concerns about his explosiveness, speed and ability to make plays on the ball.

Amukamara has proved he can stay with receivers on short and medium routes in tight man-to-man coverage, but his lack of speed hinders his ability to stay with fast receivers on deep routes. Though he is an intelligent, instinctive player, his footwork and technique are not as sharp and polished as they need to be. He also doesn't always transition out of his backpedal quickly to close on the ball in time.

These issues were apparent against Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game Saturday night, when he allowed five catches and never really came close to making a play on the ball.

He did show he has the size, strength, aggressiveness and hands to jolt receivers effectively and throw off the timing of their routes. He also is very quick and aggressive at coming up and making good hits in run support.

Amukamara showed Saturday he has many of the traits to be a very good NFL defensive back, but the question is whether he will be explosive and fast enough to play cornerback. He reminds us of 2009 Saints first-round pick Malcolm Jenkins, who entered the NFL as a corner and is now a good, productive starting safety.

sbk92

Reaction score
These issues were apparent against Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game Saturday night, when he allowed five catches and never really came close to making a play on the ball.

This is why I don't have much regard for him. Oklahoma showed him no respect and he didn't do a thing about it. He was just a guy out there.

C

Cr122

Yeah, I'm quickly shying away from Amukamara.

He might be the player who falls in this draft.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
So. You keep changing the criteria to fit your argument. And I've watched more of Winfield than yiou have and he's tackled both RBs and TEs. You do not waste a top 10 pick on a CB just to make him into a safety. You're thumping yoru chest because one other guy just happens to share your opinion. WOW.

How have I changed my criteria? Amakumura is a big bodied corner who loves to tackle. His body can withstand that punishment. Antoine Winfield is just a token RB and TE tackler.

And with how short he is, he's not going to be winning any jump balls for INTs which you want at the FS position.

Top Bottom