sbk92

Reaction score
Robert Quinn's upside impressive

By Steve Muench
Scouts Inc.

ncf_i_quinnr_576.jpg

Robert Quinn's ability to put quarterbacks on the ground gives him all kinds of potential.

The upcoming Super Bowl matchup between the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers features a pair of explosive 3-4 edge rushers in the Packers' Clay Matthews (first round, 2009) and the Steelers' LaMarr Woodley (second round, 2007).

Their ability to generate pressure on the quarterback makes everyone around them better, and the extra attention they demand creates one-on-one opportunities for other pass rushers. Matthews and Woodley also make life easier for the pass coverage by forcing quarterbacks to make quick decisions and off-balance throws.

So who in the 2011 draft class could make a similar impact in the NFL? Here's a look at three edge rushers who could develop into stars for teams running base 3-4 defenses, all of whom are underclassmen.

North Carolina DE/OLB Robert Quinn (Scouts Inc. grade: 96)

The NCAA declared Quinn permanently ineligible and he missed the entire season in 2010 after accepting improper benefits, and because underclassmen don't take part in postseason all-star games it's been more than a year since Quinn took the field. He still projects as a first-round pick, though, because of his rare pass-rushing potential.

While he could line up at right end in a base four-man front, Quinn lacks ideal size for the position and he gets engulfed at times by offensive tackles. On the other hand, he has the upper-body strength and plays with enough leverage to set the edge if moved to outside linebacker in a three-man front.

More importantly, he has the burst to beat offensive tackles off the snap and the flexibility/balance to bend back inside when the tackle fails to get his hands on Quinn. There are concerns about Quinn's ability to counter when he doesn't win with his first move but he can work to improve in this area. The bottom line is that his explosiveness and closing speed can't be coached and he has all the tools to excel once he shakes off the rust.

Missouri DE/OLB Aldon Smith (91)

Smith lined up at defensive end for the Tigers and has the frame to develop into a starter there, and at times Missouri even kicked him inside to defensive tackle where his quickness overwhelmed interior offensive linemen. He may not jump out as a likely candidate for a change in position but Smith's best fit at the next level very well could be at 3-4 outside linebacker.

Smith is high-cut, which is to say he has a relatively high center of gravity that hinders his ability to sink his hips when anchoring against the run. However, he does however flash a powerful punch and excels at slipping blocks with his lateral quickness, so he should be more effective against the run at outside linebacker.

After seeing his athletic ability jump out on film I'm confident Smith can make the transition, especially given his active hands as a pass rusher. He can knock the offensive tackle's hands down before they get on his frame, and Smith can also knock tackles off-balance with a powerful punch before redirecting. As a result of all that he carries a late-first round grade at this point.

Georgia DE/OLB Justin Houston (91)

Houton also comes with concerns about his ability to anchor against the run as a traditional 4-3 defensive end, but he has experience lining up at outside linebacker in a 3-4 so scouts already know he can drop into underneath coverage and hold his own.

Scouts would like him to be more versatile as a pass rusher and he will have to develop effective counter moves to realize his substantial potential, but Houston does have the initial burst to run around offensive tackles when he gets off the ball quickly. He also looks to strip the ball when he gets to the quarterback and generally gets his hands into throwing lanes when he sees he won't get to the quarterback in time. Houston also grades out late in the first round.

sbk92

Reaction score
My hope for the 9th overall pick.

We got a top of the draft talent last year with Dez because of a suspension. Hopefully the same happens with Quinn.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
My hope for the 9th overall pick.

We got a top of the draft talent last year with Dez because of a suspension. Hopefully the same happens with Quinn.

Same here. As of right now there seems to be no one worthy at OT for us or even at safety because Peterson is projected to be long gone...

I like Spencer and surely don't think he's the weak link on our D but I would sacrifice his playing time to add another player with DWare potential in a heartbeat.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Same here. As of right now there seems to be no one worthy at OT for us or even at safety because Peterson is projected to be long gone...

I like Spencer and surely don't think he's the weak link on our D but I would sacrifice his playing time to add another player with DWare potential in a heartbeat.

DWare potential is pushing it. How good is Quinn against the run and in coverage? He just cannot be a better pass rusher than Spencer, he has to excel in those areas as well.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Like Quinn alot, my only concern is with the yr off, how fast can he get up to speed on a potential position change and back into playing condition. With idiot Goodell probably leading us to a longterm lockout, might not be much actual practice/meeting time to get Quinn ramped up.

Also like Justin Houston alot.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
DWare potential is pushing it. How good is Quinn against the run and in coverage? He just cannot be a better pass rusher than Spencer, he has to excel in those areas as well.

If Quinn doesn't get suspended he's a top 3 pick, easy. As of right now he's looking at top 10. Thats a lot sooner than DWare was projected at this time of the year when he was coming out of school. So no, its not pushing it. If we take him I'm not saying he has to perform like DWare has but being a number 9 overall selection... he better come close.

And thanks for stating the obvious regarding covering the run/pass.

sbk92

Reaction score
If Quinn doesn't get suspended he's a top 3 pick, easy. As of right now he's looking at top 10. Thats a lot sooner than DWare was projected at this time of the year when he was coming out of school. So no, its not pushing it. If we take him I'm not saying he has to perform like DWare has but being a number 9 overall selection... he better come close.

Ware came from tiny Troy U. At this time in February he was viewed as an early 2nd round pick. He had the level of competition criticism against him. Once he blew up at the combine and personal workouts he really rose on everyone's boards.

Had Quinn played this year and continued to excel, he'd be the first overall pick in this draft. He'd have a bigger body of work than Fairley.

Sure the year off makes him risky. And if we have a shortened offseason due to the CBA he might not be much of a factor year one, but I don't care about that. You don't draft players based on instant impact.

Lets see what he does in his workouts. If he shows he kept in shape during the down time I think that only bolsters his value. If he got lazy and shows up out of shape then you might have to question his head.

But I can't imagine a better value at 9. Spencer shouldn't even play a role in that decision.

Reaction score

That's speculation.

He had a phenomenal sophmore year, and all his high rankings are based on speculation that his junior year would've at least mirrored his 2nd year production.

It very well may have, but that's not a given. He could've struggled, got injured, or regressed, etc. Happens every year.

Quinn is the guy I want, but we'd have to trade up for him, and I don't think we will. I'm not knocking the player, I just don't think you can say it's shit-sure he'd be the #1 overall if he played.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

A top 3 pick easy? Why because you say so? And it's foolish to use the comparison as to where Ware was drafted because where a player is drafted in one draft, he may be not so highly touted in another. If the guys is like Ware, how come nobodyw as talking about him last year?

Well the obvious needs to be stated because people like you are solely caught up in the sacks and pass rushing, and either ignore or underrate stopping the run and coverage. Hence why you and others are so down on Spencer.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
A top 3 pick easy? Why because you say so? And it's foolish to use the comparison as to where Ware was drafted because where a player is drafted in one draft, he may be not so highly touted in another. If the guys is like Ware, how come nobodyw as talking about him last year?

Wow. OK, you're done.

Well the obvious needs to be stated because people like you are solely caught up in the sacks and pass rushing, and either ignore or underrate stopping the run and coverage. Hence why you and others are so down on Spencer.

Never said any of that. Actually I even said "I like Spencer". So yea...

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
That's speculation.

He had a phenomenal sophmore year, and all his high rankings are based on speculation that his junior year would've at least mirrored his 2nd year production.

It very well may have, but that's not a given. He could've struggled, got injured, or regressed, etc. Happens every year.

Quinn is the guy I want, but we'd have to trade up for him, and I don't think we will. I'm not knocking the player, I just don't think you can say it's shit-sure he'd be the #1 overall if he played.

Dear Midtwat,

Stop being negative nancy all of the time.

Your friend,

NoShame

sbk92

Reaction score

Nobody talked about Ware until his combine. That's when he started getting the first round hype.

I don't care how well Spencer plays the run or covers. You can not be a starting OLB in a 3-4 NFL defense unless you get to the QB on a consistent basis. Run support and coverage ability only bide you some time to develop those pass rush skills. If you never get that part of your game squared away, you can't start in this defense.

If you had a brain, the fact that Quinn has always been considered a top 10 selection in this draft despite not playing should tell you how easily it would have been for him to elevate as high as the 1st overall player on everyone's board if he did play.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Ware came from tiny Troy U. At this time in February he was viewed as an early 2nd round pick. He had the level of competition criticism against him. Once he blew up at the combine and personal workouts he really rose on everyone's boards.

Had Quinn played this year and continued to excel, he'd be the first overall pick in this draft. He'd have a bigger body of work than Fairley.

Sure the year off makes him risky. And if we have a shortened offseason due to the CBA he might not be much of a factor year one, but I don't care about that. You don't draft players based on instant impact.

Lets see what he does in his workouts. If he shows he kept in shape during the down time I think that only bolsters his value. If he got lazy and shows up out of shape then you might have to question his head.

But I can't imagine a better value at 9. Spencer shouldn't even play a role in that decision.

Yea, I have a feeling he might not even be there for us at 9 after he shows up at the combine.

My plan as of right now is to pay some nerd to hack into Kiper's blog and post some shit like Quinn talked in the third person during all of his interviews at the combine. This way he drops a little for us.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yea, I have a feeling he might not even be there for us at 9 after he shows up at the combine.

My plan as of right now is to pay some nerd to hack into Kiper's blog and post some shit like Quinn talked in the third person during all of his interviews at the combine. This way he drops a little for us.

If he freaks in his personal workouts he'll probably go top 5.

We needed these QBs to rise and it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

Top Bottom