sdogo

Reaction score
While my agenda and reason for being there changed, my interests did not. Besides wanting to get a good look first hand at some players I went there with the intention of keeping a hawks eye on the Cowboys staff and with some help from friends we were able to shadow the Cowboys staff pretty well. At one point too well when we were asked by security at the hotel to take a different elevator.

For the most part the staff stayed together as a unit as their focus seemed to be centered around the OL and DL. Rob spent a great deal of time following the LB's and DB's while Jason and the offensive staff if not with the OL who occupied a good 80% of their time focused on the RB's and strange enough, the QB's.

I don't remember one instance where the coaches broke off with the WR's during individual drills.

Unlike the Combine, coaches and scouts don't have the access to the players that lets you get a good read on individual interest but if you know what your looking for it's never hard to determine which players are making the scouts and coaches sit up in their seats when the get their reps.

A few things I noticed is that Rob Ryan seemed extremely interested and complimentary of Boston College LB Mark Herzlich. He also offered some sideline coaching to Cal DE Cameron Jordan. Speaking of Jordan, the defensive staff as whole took a special interest in him early in sessions that seemed to infect even the offensive staff by the end of the week.

Brett Maxie seemed to pick up the pace on note taking and was particularity focused on Texas CB Curtis Brown who I also heard was rumored to already be on a short list for a individual visit.

By the end of the week though sources told me that one DB the staff could not stop raving about was North Carolina DB Kendric Burney.

I'm also told the Cowboys really want to get a better look at Arizona DL Brooks Reed who was listed as a Defensive Lineman but at 6'2" 257 showed the agility and athletic ability that could project to OLB.

On the offensive side of the ball it was almost impossible to get a read on what the Cowboys thought about any individual Offensive Lineman. As a whole when they were running drills the staff we very business like giving each player what appeared to be a complete on the job analysis. There was no more energy put into one player then another although despite at first worrying my own desires were influencing me there did seem to be some heightened awareness and note exchanging when the Wisconsin duo of Moffitt and Carimi did anything.

I did get a good read on the QB awareness of Jason Garrett, it was hard to miss. He, Wade Wilson and Wes Phillips were the only staffers watching individual drills. They seemed very interested in Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick. Often mocking his movements after his reps. There also seemed to be an equal amount of interest placed on TCU QB Andy Dalton.

I apologize for some of the generic observations and lack of "first hand" detail but some of my travel partners and "sources" have yet to chime in with their observations. Once I get those I'll start the traditional, "Prospects the Cowboys have shown interest in" thread which is always made better by everyone contributions.

Cythim

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, it seems like as far as QBs go they are checking out mid-round prospects. I imagine if they like a guy and he lands in the right spot Jason will bring him in for competition. I also like to hear how they were grading every oline player with equal interest. I only care about picking the right player no matter who it is and their actions seems to show the same desire.

C

Cr122

Thanks again for the information sdogo, it's greatly appreciated.

Good stuff.

sbk92

Reaction score
This guy just screams 3-4 OLB terror....

09fallbrooks2.jpg

Reaction score
I'm happy to see we are looking at QB's.

I know Washington appearantly displayed a lot of interest in the Nevada QB as well.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We're looking at a bunch of nice defensive prospects. By all accounts Burney was tearing up the Senior Bowl among CBs. We all read about Jordan and how he impressed.

You may not think it, sdogo. But this was a windfall. We always appreciate you coming here.

Top Bottom