sbk92

Reaction score
New names on the Big Board

Some late draft declarations and new evaluations have shifted the Board again

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

A greater deal of attention this week will be paid to the first mock draft of the season, but as I always say, don't forget about the actual player rankings. The mock draft is a blend of need and value, but the Big Board, and the overall player rankings that I publish every year, are the key to knowing how well I think teams are creating value during the actual draft. This week, we also have some new players.

The biggest jump comes again from a Missouri player. Blaine Gabbert got a big bump when he opted to declare, and now Missouri OLB Aldon Smith has gotten a similar one. A raw talent, he could play either OLB or DE at the next level, and teams will fall in love with his athleticism and potential. But he's not the only new player on the Board, so check it out. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

1) Nick Fairley *, Auburn DT 6-5 310
Analysis: Fairley simply dominated his final showcase game for scouts. A force all season, while often not 100 percent; a perfect fit for a 4-3 interior. Last week: No. 1

2) Da'Quan Bowers *, Clemson DE 6-4 277
Analysis: The most gifted pure pass-rusher on the Board, Bowers has followed through on his talent. An ideal 4-3 DE, but he has a chance as a 3-4 edge. Last week: No. 2

3) A.J. Green *, Georgia WR 6-4 207
Analysis: Allays any speed fears with improved route-running, and speed is fine. Green has worked hard to become a complete WR. Last week: No. 3

4) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-1 211
Analysis: An extraordinary athlete, Peterson doesn't just have safety size, he'd measure up to a lot of RBs. Great special-teams returner as well. Last week: No. 4

5) Marcell Dareus *, Alabama DE 6-3 306
Analysis: A solid penetrator; pass-rush skills trump run-stopping performance thus far, which is a reason I can see him becoming a solid 3-4 DE. Last week: No. 5

6) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-1 202
Analysis: Top marks for instincts, ball awareness and really good hands. It's as if he's running the WR's route sometimes. Ready to start. Last week: No. 6

7) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 267
Analysis: Great natural pass-rusher, solid athlete, serious motor. He'll be a little raw but should shine during the workout process. Last week: No. 7

8) Blaine Gabbert *, Missouri QB 6-5 232
Analysis: Strong arm, good mobility, prototype in terms of physical skills. The top QB on the Board minus Luck, but he will be under the microscope; volatile. Last week: No. 8

9) Von Miller, Texas A&M LB 6-3 243
Analysis: Miller proved to scouts that he's more than a sack artist this season. He showed coverage skills to go along with known pass-rush production. Last week: No. 9

10) Julio Jones *, Alabama WR 6-4 211
Analysis: When healthy, Jones was dominant; when not, he was still good in 2010. Overcame drop issues; improved route-running showed off speed. Last week: No. 11

11) Nate Solder, Colorado OT 6-9 313
Analysis: A physical specimen, has great length, ability to add bulk to chiseled frame. Will shine in workout phase, and draft is short on elite offensive tackles. Last week: No. 18

12) Akeem Ayers *, UCLA OLB 6-4 251
Analysis: Exceptional athleticism makes him versatile, but his production has also been very good. Long, with ideal OLB build, skills for 3-4 at next level. Last week: No. 12

13) Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE 6-4 259
Analysis: Production is no concern for possible 3-4 OLB, or 4-3 DE. Kerrigan led nation with 26 TFL and was impossible to block, even against double-teams. Last week: No. 10

14) Aldon Smith *, Missouri OLB 6-4 262
Analysis: Great frame and athleticism; Smith has some raw elements to his game but he can rush the passer and could develop into a stud on the edge. Last week: NR

15) Cam Newton *, Auburn QB 6-6 250
Analysis: Great size and athleticism, but also underrated accuracy. Extends plays; good patience. Lacks experience and refinement aside from throwing motion. Last week: No. 14

16) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6-3 282
Analysis: Good size, capable of playing 3-4 DE. Good motor; batters O-linemen. Needs to refine rush skills; down year for sacks but faced more attention. Last week: No. 13

17) Mark Ingram *, Alabama RB 5-10 216
Analysis: Patient runner, knows how to set up and wait for blocks; big-time competitor; good burst but not top-end speed. Won't shy from contact. Last week: No. 17

18) J.J. Watt *, Wisconsin DE 6-6 286
Analysis: Watt offers versatility, as a fit in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Relentless worker, solid pass-rush skills. Precise weight a question. Last week: NR

19) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 327
Analysis: A solid year of tape, battling a number of high draft picks. Better footwork, added consistency. Excellent frame; could go LT or RT. Last week: No. 19

20) Ryan Mallett *, Arkansas QB 6-7 238
Analysis: Huge arm, can make all the throws. Improved check-down skills and awareness. Footwork needs a lot of work. Last week: No. 20

21) Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT 6-7 306
Analysis: Smart, reliable with solid footwork, but could add lower-body strength and overall bulk to improve leverage. Consistent worker; smart player. Last week: No. 21

22) Tyron Smith *, USC OT 6-5 290
Analysis: Could become top tackle here. Good frame, athleticism and quickness; could add bulk, but deceptive leverage, strength. Last week: NR

23) Rahim Moore *, UCLA S 6-1 197
Analysis: Top overall safety, with outstanding coverage skills. Has improved tackling, ability to help near the line of scrimmage. Great instincts; ballhawk. Last week: NR

24) Muhammad Wilkerson *, Temple DT 6-5 306
Analysis: Committed earlier than I expected, but has first-round talent. Scheme-flexible, disruptive, strong penetrator, could work in 3-4 or 4-3. Last week: NR

25) Jake Locker, Washington QB 6-3 228
Analysis: Off-the-charts skill set and intangibles; solid character. Now begins a process to rebuild his profile for scouts. Last week: No. 24

Reaction score
If we stay at #9, I want:

6) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-1 202
Analysis: Top marks for instincts, ball awareness and really good hands. It's as if he's running the WR's route sometimes. Ready to start. Last week: No. 6

But I'd prefer if we traded down slightly and ended up with:

19) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 327
Analysis: A solid year of tape, battling a number of high draft picks. Better footwork, added consistency. Excellent frame; could go LT or RT. Last week: No. 19

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If we stay at #9, I want:

But I'd prefer if we traded down slightly and ended up with:

If Amukamara or Quinn is there, he's the guy, but I'm huge on the importance of the OL. A trade wouldn't hurt my feelings, especially if we end up with another 2nd and a 4th or 5th or something. I like Solder over Carimi, though.

Reaction score
I like Solder over Carimi, though.

Solder is more potential, IMO.

I think Carimi can step in week 1 and perform better than Solder will/would. In 3 years, Solder might be the better tackle, or he might be a bust. Carimi seems like the safer pick to me.

I'm no scout. Just going largely by what I've read on both players.

C

Cr122

Solder is more potential, IMO.

I think Carimi can step in week 1 and perform better than Solder will/would. In 3 years, Solder might be the better tackle, or he might be a bust. Carimi seems like the safer pick to me.

I'm no scout. Just going largely by what I've read on both players.

Carimi would be a better RT in the NFL. JMO

C

Cr122

Besides, I'm fine with that. I like Free at LT. We need a RT.

I'm not fine with that. I think Free would be a better RT. But Jerry has plans of having Young there.

I would like us to draft another LT like Solder or Castonzo then move Free to RT.

If that doesn't work then we need to draft a guy like Tyron Smith and slide Free back to RT.

Then add a guy like Mankins to the mix. It's not completely fixed, but it's a start.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm cool with Free at LT. He played very well this past season.

Solder is a big, athletic, All-American first-team left tackle with huge upside and tremendous work ethic. I don't think he'd have much difficulty playing the right side.

C

Cr122

I'm cool with Free at LT. He played very well this past season.

I wouldn't go as far to say he played very well, He played well at times, but he did get slapped around a bit this year.

He needed help at times, and has trouble with the bigger defenders.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far to say he played very well, He played well at times, but he did get slapped around a bit this year.

He'd face more of the "bigger defenders" on the right side.

C

Cr122

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't he play better at the RT position?

Then why did he have trouble at times this year on the left side?

I like Free but I'm not sold on him being our franchise LT.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Free is fine on the left side. He's one of the more athletic lineman in the league and he generally goes against speed rushers. He got better as the year went on and I wouldn't be surprised if he sniffs a Pro Bowl or two in the next couple of years.

We have much bigger issues than Doug Free. Colombo, Davis, Safeties, & Defensive Ends are bigger concerns IMO.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score

He gave up five sacks in his first year as a starter at LT, going against many of the elite pass rushers in the game. Profootballfocus.com rates Free the number one run-blocking LT in the League and third best LT overall, and while I don't know if I quite agree with all that, I think Free played very well.

sbk92

Reaction score

Exactly.

Whatever you think of Free, he belongs on the left side.

I don't know where this RT nonsense started. He's strength is movement not power.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
After Ryan watched extensive tape of Spencer, OLB could vault to #1 need.

Top Bottom