sbk92

Reaction score
Big Board is a 'Fair' assessment

No player has come as far as Nick Fairley has this season. Now, he's on top.

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

An offense that dominated nearly everyone, an over/under in the stratosphere and plenty of time to scheme -- none of it mattered to Auburn's Nick Fairley. While the BCS title game certainly lent an advantage in my mind to a pair of solid defensive coordinators who had over a month to break down tape and prepare their teams for the nuanced approach, Fairley's utterly dominant performance against Oregon was right up there with the recent performance of Ndamukong Suh against Texas in last year's Big 12 title tilt.

And now his stock is where Suh's was as well, safely in the discussion as the possible No. 1 pick. On the flip side, Cam Newton had an up-and-down game and drops a couple spots this week. The quarterback class, minus Andrew Luck, is really going to test the scouting efforts of personnel people. As it stands -- and with plenty of evaluating left to do -- there might not be what I'd call a really good top-10 value among the QB class. But, again, there's much work to be done. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

1) Nick Fairley *, Auburn DT 6-5 310
Analysis: Fairley simply dominated his final showcase game for scouts. A force all year while often not 100 percent, a perfect fit for a 4-3 interior. Last week: No. 2

2) Da'Quan Bowers *, Clemson DE 6-4 277
Analysis: The most gifted pure pass-rusher on the Board, Bowers has followed through on his talent. An ideal 4-3 DE, but Bowers has a chance as a 3-4 edge. Last week: No. 1

3) A.J. Green *, Georgia WR 6-4 207
Analysis: Allays any speed fears with improved route-running; and speed is fine. Green has worked hard to become a complete WR. Last week: No. 3

4) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-1 211
Analysis: An extraordinary athlete, Peterson doesn't just have safety size, he'd measure up to a lot of RBs. Great special teams returner as well. Last week: No. 4

5) Marcell Dareus *, Alabama DE 6-3 306
Analysis: A solid penetrator; pass-rush skills trump run-stopping performance thus far, which is a reason I can see him becoming a solid 3-4 DE.Last week: No. 6

6) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-1 202
Analysis: Top marks for instincts, ball awareness and really good hands. It's as if he's running the WR's route sometimes. Ready to start. Last week: No. 5

7) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 267
Analysis: Great natural pass-rusher, solid athlete, serious motor. He'll be a little raw but should shine during the workout process. Last week: No. 7

8) Blaine Gabbert *, Missouri QB 6-5 232
Analysis: Strong arm, good mobility, prototype in terms of physical skills. The top QB on the Board minus Luck, but he will be under the microscope; volatile. Last week: No. 8

9) Von Miller, Texas A&M LB 6-3 243
Analysis: Miller proved to scouts that he's more than a sack artist this season. He showed coverage skills to go along with known pass-rush production. Last week: No. 9

10) Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE 6-4 259
Analysis: Upside and fit a concern, production is not. Kerrigan led the nation with 26 tackles for loss and became impossible to block, even against double-teams. Last week: No. 10

11) Julio Jones *, Alabama WR 6-4 211
Analysis: When healthy, Jones was dominant; when not, he was still good in 2010. Overcame drop issues, improved route-running showed off speed. Last week: No. 13

12) Akeem Ayers *, UCLA OLB 6-4 251
Analysis: Exceptional athleticism makes him versatile, but his production has also been very good. Long, with ideal OLB build, skills for 3-4 at next level. Last week: No. 11

13) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6-3 282
Analysis: Good size, capable of playing 3-4 DE. Good motor; batters offensive linemen. Needs to refine rush skills; down year for sacks but faced more attention. Last week: No. 15

14) Cam Newton *, Auburn QB 6-6 250
Analysis: Great size and athleticism, but also underrated accuracy. Extends plays; good patience. Lacks experience and refinement aside from throwing motion. Last week: No. 12

15) J.J. Watt *, Wisconsin DE 6-6 286
Analysis: Watt should offer versatility, a fit in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. Relentless worker, solid pass-rush skills. New on the Board. Last week: NR

16) Drake Nevis, LSU DT 6-1 289
Analysis: Lacks top-end size, but he's an explosive, up-the-field tackle with good pad level and leverage. Ideal three-technique, he plays with passion. Last week: No. 17

17) Mark Ingram *, Alabama RB 5-10 216
Analysis: Patient runner, knows how to set up and wait for blocks; big-time competitor; good burst but not top-end speed. Won't shy from contact. Last week: No. 23

18) Nate Solder, Colorado OT 6-9 313
Analysis: A physical specimen, has great length, ability to add bulk to chiseled frame. Will shine in workout phase and draft is short on elite offensive tackles. Last week: No. 18

19) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 327
Analysis: A solid year of tape, battling a number of high draft picks. Better footwork, added consistency. Excellent frame; could go LT or RT. Last week: No. 21

20) Ryan Mallett *, Arkansas QB 6-7 238
Analysis: Huge arm, can make all the throws. Improved check-down skills and awareness. Footwork needs a lot of work. Last week: No. 17

21) Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT 6-7 306
Analysis: Smart, reliable with solid footwork, but could add lower-body strength and overall bulk to improve leverage. Consistent worker; smart player. Last week: No. 22

22) Mike Pouncey, Florida C/G 6-4 310
Analysis: Bloodlines are there, as is a comparable skill set to brother Maurkice. Versatile interior blocker; like brother, ready to help. Last week: No. 25

23) Cameron Heyward, Ohio St. DE 6-5 291
Analysis: On the Big Board most of the season, bounced back with dominant Sugar Bowl performance. Versatile, but ideal size to work as 3-4 DE. Deep DL class. Last week: NR

24) Jake Locker, Washington QB 6-3 228
Analysis: Off-the-charts skill set and intangibles; solid character. Now begins a process to rebuild his profile for scouts. Last week: No. 24

25) Ben Ijalana, Villanova OT 6-2 321
Analysis: Can play either left tackle, or move inside to guard. Versatile, great athlete, good feet, good frame, and totally dominant at FBS level. Last week: NR

sbk92

Reaction score
J.J. Watt debuts at #14.

I don't see it. I think he's a solid late 1st/early 2nd round pick at best.

I was waiting to see if Ijalana would make an appearance. The ESPN guys are high on this kid. He gets a lot of pub around here with the local media.

sbk92

Reaction score
I knew it was only a matter of time for his hairness to figure out that Nick Fairley was the cream of this crop.

C

Cr122

Yeah Watts climbing of the board stuns me, but hey.

As far as our pick at 9 if the board feel like that I would take Kerrigan before Miller but that's me.

C

Cr122

I knew it was only a matter of time for his hairness to figure out that Nick Fairley was the cream of this crop.

He is. Did you watch the bowl game?

Man, he is unstoppable and hard to block.

C

Cr122

Ben Ijalana, Villanova OT 6-2 321 this is a pet cat of mine.

I feel smart that he's on Mel's Big Board.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yeah Watts climbing of the board stuns me, but hey.

As far as our pick at 9 if the board feel like that I would take Kerrigan before Miller but that's me.

Ryan Kerrigan
KerriganR94-150x188.jpg

Von Miller
miller.jpg

Say again?

C

Cr122

I like Ben Ijalana, so what's your point Laz?

We going the racial route again are we?

C

Cr122

Oh, geez look at my sig there's black men in there. WTF is your problem?

Top Bottom