sbk92

Reaction score
SportsDayDFW.com

SportsDay columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor answers a reader's questions about a topic of the day.

Question: We were trying to figure out how Andrew Luck would be the No. 1 pick over Cam Newton if Luck was coming out. What other criteria is the NFL and media using to determine this? Luck is 6' 4" 235 pounds strong arm and accurate. Passed for 3300 yds 8 ints with 32 tds passing and 3 tds rushing. An overall QB rating of 170. Very impressive.

Newton is 6'6" 247 strong arm, accurate. Passed for 2,500 yards six interceptions with 28 touchdowns passing and 20 touchdowns rushing. An overall QB rating of 188 is also very impressive.

*Newton is leading his team to a national championship along with winning the Heisman Trophy. Both are proven leaders and poised QB's. So my friends were trying to determine how is Luck rated above Newton as the overall pick.

Trent Lott

Jean-Jacques Taylor: It sounds like you’re implying that the only reason Newton is not ranked as high as Luck is because he’s an African-American. I would strongly disagree. Mike Vick and JaMarcus Russell were each African-American quarterbacks selected with the top pick in the draft, so I think it has been proven that NFL owners and GMs don’t have a problem taking an African-American quarterback with the top pick. The bigger difference is that Luck has been in a Pro-Style offense for three seasons that has been run by a former NFL quarterback, while Newton has played one season of college football in a gimmick offense. Any scout will tell you Luck has far better and more consistent mechanics than Newton, which is what you would expect from the son of a former NFL quarterback. Finally, the NFL game is considerably different from the college game, so winning the Heisman Trophy and leading your team to the national championship doesn’t guarantee success in the NFL. Newton might develop into a good NFL quarterback, but there are a lot more questions about his ability to do so, than Luck’s ability to do so.

Top Bottom