Reaction score
STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck will return for his junior season and skip the 2011 NFL draft, the school announced on Thursday.

"I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012", Luck said in a statement.

Luck was considered the consensus No. 1 pick if he decided to leave school after his sophomore season. He led the Cardinal to a 12-1 record this season, capped off by a 40-12 win over Virginia Tech in the Discover Orange Bowl.

Luck completed 70 percent of his passes in the 2010 season for 3,338 yards and 32 touchdowns. He threw only eight interceptions in 372 passing attempts.

Luck finished second in the Heisman Trophy balloting to Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

He will have two seasons of eligibility remaining at Stanford.
-------------

Idiotic decision.

Cythim

Reaction score
You can't finish a degree once you enter the NFL?

I wasn't aware of that. My bad.

I'm sure if he wants a degree from the University of Phoenix he could do that while in the pros, but we are talking about Stanford while he is a starting QB in Carolina. Hell I would go back to school just so I didn't get drafted by Carolina.

Reaction score
I'm sure if he wants a degree from the University of Phoenix he could do that while in the pros, but we are talking about Stanford while he is a starting QB in Carolina. Hell I would go back to school just so I didn't get drafted by Carolina.

If he went to the draft, he'd be guaranteed what? 35 million?

Lets say he goes back to school, a lineman goes low, he tears his knee up, and ends up a late 1st or later.

He's gambling more money than what 95% of the world would make in their lifetimes.

It's an idiotic decision.

Even if he stays healthy, he's losing his head coach, as well as some of his offensive lineman. No guarantee he has the year that he does.

Hell, how'd staying in school work out for Leinhart? Or Locker last year?

Stupid move.

Cythim

Reaction score
It is good to see you've already made all of Luck's life choices for him. Finishing a college degree, especially from a school like Stanford, is never a stupid move. He knows he will make money either way and will most probably end up with more money than he could possibly spend no matter which decision he makes. Leinart still made $50 million and Locker will probably make the same. Bradford went the route Luck did without being a consensus #1, got hurt and still ended up as the #1 overall pick.

sbk92

Reaction score
When you are guaranteed to be the first pick overall in the NFL draft, you are a moron for going back to school.

That's a blanket statement that I think is always true. You're putting yourself at an unnecessary risk. You can have all the education you want after your playing career.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Eh,Emmitt went back and got his degree at Florida,why couldn't Luck do the same at Stanford?

sbk92

Reaction score
Eh,Emmitt went back and got his degree at Florida,why couldn't Luck do the same at Stanford?

That's what I'm saying.

You have a guaranteed safety net waiting for you this summer. You'll never have to worry about money the rest of your life. Going back doesn't provide an opportunity you wouldn't have declaring. All you're doing is risking a fortune in the NFL.

He probably thinks it's honorable. I think it's sheer stupidity.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You can't finish a degree once you enter the NFL?

I wasn't aware of that. My bad.

You can, but you cant QB your team to a national championship or win the heisman trophy once you go to the NFL

Payton Manning was universally praised for staying in school, and everyone knew he was bound to be the #1 or #2 pick. Why should Luck be treated any different. And Luck isnt even a JR, he's a redshirt SO

Top Bottom