sbk92

Reaction score
Big Board has Newton in Top 10

After another huge performance where his arm was the focus, Cam Newton has arrived

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

There's not a lot of movement on the Big Board this week as we move into a period before the bowls where inactivity is everywhere. That said, after another solid performance throwing the ball in the SEC championship game, Cam Newton gets another bump this week. I've stated from the beginning that the idea of Newton as a run-first quarterback is really only a product of the system he's in.

In other words, don't blame a guy for being so talented that he's utilized in ways that NFL scouts aren't as interested in. Sure, he'll have to develop, but Newton's ability to run isn't just a down-the-field skill; he's also shown the ability to slide in the pocket, move outside and extend passing plays. For the rest of the movement on the board, see below. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

1) Andrew Luck *, Stanford QB 6-4 235
Analysis: Now completing 70.2 percent of passes in pro-style offense. Arm, smarts and intelligence are all there. Gift-wrapped QB pick. Last week: No. 1

2) Da'Quan Bowers *, Clemson DE 6-4 277
Analysis: His 24 TFL are second nationally. A tremendous physical talent who has shown steady relentlessness this year. Ideal size for 4-3 DE. Last week: No. 2

3) A.J. Green *, Georgia WR 6-4 207
Analysis: Green has been mostly unstoppable even with young QB. Not sure people realize what kind of route-runner he's become. Last week: No. 3

4) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-1 211
Analysis: More than freak athlete, Peterson has continued to improve his technical cover skills. Has quietly become among nation's top return threats. Last week: No. 4

5) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-1 202
Analysis: I'd be more concerned about Amukamara's zero interceptions in 2010 if any quarterback was willing to challenge him. A gifted technician. Last week: No. 5

6) Nick Fairley *, Auburn DT 6-5 310
Analysis: Brilliant season from Fairley. He's dominated even while not 100 percent at times. He simply epitomizes the ideal penetrating 4-3 DT. Last week: No. 6

7) Ryan Mallett *, Arkansas QB 6-7 238
Analysis: Mallett has become far more than a big arm. Patience, poise and willingness to check down have enhanced his stock. Last week: No. 9

8) Cameron Newton, Auburn QB 6-6 250
Analysis: Once more, Newton got to show that he's more than a mere running threat. Capable of extending plays to use his big arm. Last week: No. 14

9) Julio Jones *, Alabama WR 6-4 211
Analysis: Jones had a stellar junior season; when healthy, he was impossible to stop; when not, he was still good. Greater ability to separate in 2010. Last week: No. 10

10) Marcell Dareus *, Alabama DE 6-3 306
Analysis: Played well early against Auburn in his last game, but looked worn with the rest of Bama's defense late. Best suited as 4-3 DT at the NFL level. Last week: No. 8

11) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 267
Analysis: Freakish athlete with decent size, great quickness and pass-rush skills. Ineligible all year, but scouts are captivated by his talent. Last week: No. 7

12) Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE 6-4 259
Analysis: Led country with 26 TFL, he became simply impossible to block, even against double-teams. He's ideal for 3-4 OLB, possible 4-3 DE. Last week: No. 12

13) Von Miller, Texas A&M LB 6-3 243
Analysis: Miller has shown recently that his ability to drop and cover has grown. Good 3-4 pass-rusher, with great edge quickness; sack machine. Last week: No. 15

14) Justin Blackmon *, Oklahoma State WR 6-1 208
Analysis: Wrapping up a breakout season, he has been impossible to keep covered. Good size and speed combo with ability to set up DBs. Last week: No. 13

15) Akeem Ayers *, UCLA OLB 6-4 251
Analysis: His exceptional athleticism makes him so versatile. Ideal every-down 3-4 OLB who can rush and cover. Ayers should test well in Indy. Last week. No. 12

16) Drake Nevis, LSU DT 6-1 289
Analysis: Explosive, up-the-field tackle. Ideal three-technique who plays with great leverage and passion. Solid against run and pass. Last week: No. 16

17) Nate Solder, Colorado OT 6-9 313
Analysis: Physical freak with improved skills. Should dominate in workout phase and could get bump in draft short on elite OTs. Last week: No. 17

18) Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT 6-7 306
Analysis: Smart, reliable, solid footwork but could add lower-body strength to become better leverage player. Back up after rough stretch. Last week: No. 18

19) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6-3 282
Analysis: Sacks were down but increased attention was part of that. A guy who batters offensive linemen; has great motor. Last week: No. 20

20) Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State OT 6-6 305
Analysis: A later entry to the Big Board this year. An athlete at OT, ha moves his feet well and has been steady against good players; continues to improve. Last week: No. 21

21) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 327
Analysis: Has had fantastic fall, battling a number of likely high draft picks to standstill. Once beaten by speed too often, his footwork has improved. Last week: No. 22

22) Mark Ingram *, Alabama RB 5-10 216
Analysis: Average per rush now tick below last year, but explosive and physical after being dinged early. Solid finisher but top-end speed is in question. Last week: No. 19

23) Jake Locker, Washington QB 6-3 228
Analysis: Skill set is fantastic, but poor year overall. Has done a great deal of his best work versus bad competition. Last week: No. 23

24) Rahim Moore, UCLA S 6-1 196
Analysis: Production down this year after breakout 2009 season, but QBs also stayed away. Good instincts, and he gets solid marks as cover safety. Last week: No. 24

25) Jon Baldwin *, Pittsburgh WR 6-5 225
Analysis: Great physical skills and size. Baldwin has had a rocky season -- games with 1, 3, 2, 3 catches -- but QB issues were part of that. Last week: No. 25

C

Cr122

Big jump for Cam Newton.

I know this is Mel's big board, but would you at 8 if Newton was there?

I'm not so sure I would go with Newton, but he has shown lately that he is a good pocket passer.

Reaction score
11) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 267
Analysis: Freakish athlete with decent size, great quickness and pass-rush skills. Ineligible all year, but scouts are captivated by his talent. Last week: No. 7

How would the board feel about this guy opposite Ware?

I mean . . . it's pretty clear we can't rely on Spencer.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How would the board feel about this guy opposite Ware?

I mean . . . it's pretty clear we can't rely on Spencer.

My first choice would be Peterson, but it's unlikely we would have a shot at him. I'm wavering on Prince Amukamara and Quinn. If we can trade Spencer, then yes, go for Quinn.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
My first choice would be Peterson, but it's unlikely we would have a shot at him. I'm wavering on Prince Amukamara and Quinn. If we can trade Spencer, then yes, go for Quinn.

We could take Prince Amukamara and start him at FS.

Top Bottom