sbk92

Reaction score
Big Board lacks top RBs

It's not merely an NFL trend; it's generally a weak crop of running backs in this draft

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

It's an obvious trend across the NFL that the trust in a system in which one running back dominates the carries has suffered in recent years. I tend to think it's a bit of a chicken-egg situation: Some people will say injuries forced the hands of coaches, making them more cautious with top backs, and others will say that running backs not used to a workload are more susceptible to struggles and injuries.

But either way, we know that more and more teams seem to be comfortable finding running backs later in the draft process. I don't think this is simply because running backs have been marginalized. I think the position is hard to gauge, and personnel folks error on the side of caution with a position that transitions easier to the NFL than any other. This year should be no different. Mark Ingram of Alabama is the current highest back on the Board, but he's the only one and he's down at No. 19 this week, his lowest position yet. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

1) Andrew Luck *, Stanford QB 6-4 235
Analysis: Now completing 70.2 percent of passes in pro-style offense. Arm, smarts, intelligence all there. Gift-wrapped QB pick. Last week: No. 1

2) Da'Quan Bowers *, Clemson DE 6-4 277
Analysis: His 24 TFL are second nationally. A tremendous physical talent who has shown steady relentlessness this year. Ideal size for 4-3 DE. Last week: No. 2

3) A.J. Green *, Georgia WR 6-4 207
Analysis: Green has been mostly unstoppable even with young QB. Not sure people realize what kind of route-runner he's become. Last week: No. 3

4) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-1 211
Analysis: More than freak athlete, Peterson has continued to improve his technical cover skills. Has quietly become among nation's top return threats. Last week: No. 4

5) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-1 202
Analysis: I'd be more concerned about Amukamara's zero interceptions in 2010 if any quarterback was willing to challenge him. A gifted technician. Last week: No. 5

6) Nick Fairley *, Auburn DT 6-5 310
Analysis: Another brilliant showing at Bama, where he dominated even while not 100 percent. Fairley epitomizes ideal penetrating 4-3 DT. Last week: No. 6

7) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 267
Analysis: Freakish athlete with decent size, great quickness and pass-rush skills. Ineligible all year, but scouts are captivated by his talent. Last week: No. 7

8) Marcell Dareus *, Alabama DE 6-3 306
Analysis: Played well early against Auburn but looked worn with the rest of Bama's defense late. Best suited as 4-3 DT at the NFL level. Last week: No. 8

9) Ryan Mallett *, Arkansas QB 6-7 238
Analysis: Mallett has become far more than a big arm. Patience, poise and willingness to check down have enhanced his stock. Last week: No. 9

10) Julio Jones *, Alabama WR 6-4 211
Analysis: Jones had another game on Saturday in which, when healthy, he was impossible to stop. Has shown greater ability to separate in 2010. Last week: No. 10

11) Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE 6-4 259
Analysis: Now at 26 TFL, he leads the nation and has become simply impossible to block, even against double-teams. Ideal for 3-4 OLB, possible 4-3 DE. Last week: No. 11

12) Akeem Ayers *, UCLA OLB 6-4 251
Analysis: His exceptional athleticism makes him so versatile. Ideal every-down 3-4 OLB who can rush and cover. Ayers should test well in Indy. Last week. No. 12

13) Justin Blackmon *, Oklahoma State WR 6-1 208
Analysis: Wrapping up a breakout season, he has been impossible to keep covered. Good size and speed combo with ability to setup DBs. Last week: No. 13

14) Cameron Newton, Auburn QB 6-6 250
Analysis: Against Bama, Newton got to show once again that he's more than a running threat. Capable of extending plays to use a big arm. Last week: No. 15

15) Von Miller, Texas A&M LB 6-3 243
Analysis: Miller has shown recently that his ability to drop and cover has grown. Good 3-4 pass-rusher, with great edge quickness; sack machine. Last week: No. 18

16) Drake Nevis, LSU DT 6-1 289
Analysis: Explosive, up-the-field tackle. Ideal three-technique who plays with great leverage and passion. Solid against run and pass. Last week: No. 17

17) Nate Solder, Colorado OT 6-9 313
Analysis: Physical freak with improved skills. Should dominate in workout phase and could get bump in draft short on elite OTs. Last week: No. 19

18) Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT 6-7 306
Analysis: Smart, reliable, solid footwork but could add lower-body strength to become better leverage player. Back up after rough stretch. Last week: No. 20

19) Mark Ingram *, Alabama RB 5-10 216
Analysis: Average per rush now tick below last year, but explosive and physical after being dinged early. Solid finisher who can make defenders miss. Last week: No. 14

20) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6-3 282
Analysis: Sacks are down but increased attention part of that. A guy who batters offensive lineman; has great motor. Last week: No. 14

21) Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State OT 6-6 305
Analysis: A later entry to the Big Board this year. An athlete at OT, ha moves his feet well and has been steady against good players; continues to improve. Last week: No. 22

22) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 327
Analysis: Has had a fantastic fall, battling number of likely-high draft picks to standstills. Once beaten by speed too often, his footwork has improved. Last week: No. 23

23) Jake Locker, Washington QB 6-3 228
Analysis: Skill-set is fantastic but poor year overall. Has done a great deal of his best work versus bad competition. Last week: No. 21

24) Rahim Moore, UCLA S 6-1 196
Analysis: Production down this year after breakout 2009 season, but QBs also staying away. Good instincts, and he gets solid marks as cover safety. Last week: No. 24

25) Jon Baldwin *, Pittsburgh WR 6-5 225
Analysis: Great physical skills and size. Baldwin has had a rocky season -- games with 1, 3, 2, 3 catches -- but QB issues are part of that. Last week: No. 25

sbk92

Reaction score
He's got Blackmon much higher than everyone else I've seen.

I watched him against Oklahoma last week. He is an impressive guy.

C

Cr122

A guy I have been looking at is Rahim Moore.

He seems to be climbing up Mel's board.

C

Cr122

He's got Blackmon much higher than everyone else I've seen.

I watched him against Oklahoma last week. He is an impressive guy.

Yeah, that's the first I've seen of Blackmon.

Probably, because I wasn't paying attention to anything past the top ten lately.

Top Bottom