sbk92

Reaction score
Cam Newton cracks the Big Board

He faces questions, but Newton is undeniably gifted, and a serious NFL QB prospect

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

Anyone who checks in on the Big Board every week, and is familiar with how I do rankings, knows that I'm reluctant to put players with eligibility remaining on the Big Board unless I feel I have a pretty good indication as to what they'll be doing when it comes time to make a decision about the draft. The big news this week is that Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is on the Big Board for the first time.

I go into great detail as to why I made that decision in this piece, so if you want to debate the merits of his inclusion, that's the place to get my thoughts. Suffice to say, I think the storm clouds now surrounding Newton, combined with his performance, means it's far likelier that he'll want to test the NFL waters this spring. The Big Board isn't a morality discussion; these are rankings based on where I believe draft participants stand as NFL prospects. Through that prism, Newton is a gifted athlete with remarkable physical skills, a proven ability to win and a very underrated skill set as a passer. There are other significant movements this week, so take a look. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

1) Andrew Luck *, Stanford QB 6-4 235
Analysis: His completion percentage up a full 10 points, Luck balances improvement with refinement. Holding steady here, Luck is a prototype. Last week: No. 1

2) A.J. Green *, Georgia WR 6-4 207
Analysis: Green has been mostly unstoppable even with a young QB; was totally dominant on big stage Saturday. Last week: No. 2

3) Da'Quan Bowers *, Clemson DE 6-4 277
Analysis: Among leaders in TFL, even as blocking attention has increased. A tremendous physical talent who has shown a steady relentlessness this year. Last week: No. 4

4) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-1 211
Analysis: I praised Peterson in last week's Stock Watch; he's more than an athlete. Peterson has continued to improve his technical cover skills. Last week: No. 3

5) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-1 202
Analysis: I'd be more concerned about Amukamara's zero interceptions in 2010 if any quarterback were willing to challenge him. A gifted technician. Last week: No. 5

6) Nick Fairley *, Auburn DT 6-5 310
Analysis: One dominating performance has become many. Explosive and instinctive, had no TFL against Georgia, the only time that's happened in SEC games. Last week: No. 6

7) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 267
Analysis: A freakish athlete with decent size, great quickness and pass-rush skills. Ineligible, but scouts are still in awe of his talent, so he remains. Last week: No. 7

8) Ryan Mallett *, Arkansas QB 6-7 238
Analysis: Mallett has progressed this year. For a "big arm" guy, his 67.3 completion rate is notable -- it's ninth in the nation. Last week: No. 8

9) Marcell Dareus *, Alabama DE 6-3 306
Analysis: Dareus could be a 3-4 DE, but he's better suited as a 4-3 DT. Misses surrounding talent from last year. Nov. 26 game is circled. Last week: No. 9

10) Julio Jones *, Alabama WR 6-4 211
Analysis: Solid this year, showing toughness in playing hurt and fewer drops. By far Bama's top target, has battled through increased defensive attention. Last week: No. 12

11) Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE 6-4 259
Analysis: Epitomizing "disruptive" this year. Your national leader in TFL, he absolutely destroyed Michigan on Saturday. Ideal for 3-4 OLB, possible 4-3 DE. Last week: No. 13

12) Akeem Ayers *, UCLA OLB 6-4 251
Analysis: His exceptional athleticism makes him so versatile. Consider that he still leads Bruins in TFL and INTs. Can play all over the field. Last week. No. 15

13) Mark Ingram *, Alabama RB 5-10 216
Analysis: Average per rush now a tick below last year, but still explosive and physical as ever. Splitting reps doesn't hurt his stock in my eyes. Finishes runs. Last week: No. 11

14) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6-3 282
Analysis: He's not down as much as others have moved up, but sometimes teammates have outplayed him. Sacks are way down. Last week: No. 10

15) Cameron Newton, Auburn QB 6-6 250
Analysis: Gifted physical talent with an underrated set of skills as a QB. High completion percentage, great competitor, great size and proven winner. Last week: NR

16) Drake Nevis, LSU DT 6-1 289
Analysis: Explosive, up-the-field tackle, ideal three-technique who plays with great leverage and passion. Solid against the run and the pass. Last week: No. 17

17) Jake Locker, Washington QB 6-3 228
Analysis: No player should benefit more from the workout/interview process; the issue is, Locker now needs to do well. Last week: No. 16

18) Von Miller, Texas A&M LB 6-3 243
Analysis: Miller started the year on the Big Board, but was dinged and started slow. Good 3-4 pass-rusher, with great edge quickness. Size is a question. Last week: NR

19) Nate Solder, Colorado OT 6-9 313
Analysis: Physical freak with improving skills, he's also very smart. Should dominate in the workout phase and could get a bump in a draft short on elite OTs. Last week: No. 18

20) Anthony Castonzo, Boston College OT 6-7 306
Analysis: Smart, reliable; solid footwork, but could add lower-body strength to become a better leverage player. Solid vs. Bowers in recent matchup. Last week: No. 23

21) Rahim Moore, UCLA S 6-1 196
Analysis: Production down this year after breakout 2009 season, but QBs also staying away. Good instincts, and he gets solid marks as a cover safety. Last week: NR

22) Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State OT 6-6 305
Analysis: Has flown up the Big Board this year. An athlete, he moves his feet well, and Sherrod has been steady against good players; continues to improve. Last week: No. 19

23) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 327
Analysis: Had a fantastic October, battling trio of possible high draft picks to a standstill. Once beaten by speed too often, his footwork has improved. Last week: No. 21

24) Allen Bailey, Miami DE 6-4 288
Analysis: Still developing at DE after switch last year. Great physical skills, but production is down and improvement has lagged, thus the drop this week. Last week: No. 14

25) Jon Baldwin *, Pittsburgh WR 6-5 225
Analysis: Great physical skills and size. Baldwin has had a rocky season -- games with 1, 3, 2, 3 catches -- but QB issues are part of that. Last week: No. 24

C

Cr122

Even if we put on a nice winning streak and ended the season at 7-9 or 8-8.

We still could have our choice at any of the offensive tackles, but let's not forget it is a little early and some of those tackles could climb the board in the next few months.

Top Bottom