sdogo

Reaction score
Draft Dish: Six player in cluster to be next McCluster

By Russ Lande

With the early season success and impact of Kansas City Chiefs rookie Dexter McCluster, many NFL teams are searching for their own "mighty mite" in the 2011 draft. Here's a look at the top college players in line to become the next McCluster:

1. Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State (junior; 5-7, 191 pounds)

Rodgers has been a star at Oregon State, making huge plays carrying the ball and catching passes. He is short but well-built and shows surprising strength and durability. He has outstanding running skills, vision and instincts. He finds holes and shows the explosive burst to shoot through creases to take plays the distance.

Rodgers also has excellent hands and does a solid job in pass protection. He hasn't been used as a returner in college, but we're confident he can be a star in that area.
Projection: Second-round pick

2. Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy (5-9, 190)

Despite being a star at Troy, Jernigan is not well known. But you can be sure that NFL teams know about him. He is a tremendously athletic, explosive receiver who makes big plays. With his experience lining up in a variety of alignments, he can be valuable when used as a wideout, slot receiver, third-down back or returner.

Jernigan has top-level quickness and agility and is able to make sharp jump cuts to get to the hole. When you consider his elite receiving skills, open-field ability and dangerous return ability, Jernigan fits the mold perfectly.
Projection: Second-round pick

3. Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky (5-9, 191)

Locke is the player most referred to as "this year's McCluster." He has been able to dominate as a runner, receiver out of the backfield and kick returner. He is a quick, agile ball carrier who can make sharp cuts and avoid hits.

With his elusiveness, instincts, vision and knack for making plays, Locke should be able to translate his production to the NFL -- if he isn't overused. We expect him to shine in the all-star games and spring workouts.
Projection: Second- or third-round pick

4. Jeffery Demps, RB, Florida (junior; 5-8, 184)
Demps is among the nation's fastest, most explosive players and has consistently displayed the ability to make tacklers miss and take plays the distance. In 2010, he has also made big plays returning kicks. Demps has experience starting at tailback and lining up in a variety of alignments. So he is already used to being moved around to take advantage of his athleticism and big-play ability.

We aren't sure whether Demps will -- or should -- come out early because undersized players often slide in the draft. But when he gets to the NFL, we are confident he can be a playmaker on offense and in the return game.
Projection: Second- or third-round pick

5. James Rodgers, WR, Oregon State (5-7, 185)

Rodgers' season-ending torn ACL and previous issues with a concussion will hurt his draft status. Although he has been highly productive, teams will be concerned about his durability. It's also possible Rodgers will apply for an extra season of eligibility. He is the brother of Jacquizz Rodgers.

Rodgers has extremely quick feet, which enable him to reach full speed quickly and easily get separation against man coverage. He has very good hands and has consistently shown the ability to adjust and make tough catches on off-target throws. He has what it takes to make an immediate impact as a returner and slot receiver. If he can recover from his knee injury, he could turn out to be a bargain pick.
Projection: Third-round pick

6. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia (5-8, 170)

Devine has been an impact player, but he has not developed into an elite back after an initial splash. That said, he is a productive player who consistently makes big plays as a ball carrier, receiver out of the backfield and kick returner.

Devine has the blazing speed to make big plays when he has space. However, Devine is a bit of a straight-line runner who lacks the elusiveness you expect from small ball carriers. But with his rare acceleration, he has the ability to explode through a crease and take it the distance.
Projection: Fourth-round pick

sdogo

Reaction score
I posted this article because I was very high on McCluster last year and seeing how he is making a difference in KC I'm still a little upset we did not land him. With that said, I would still love to find a player in his mold and with one of the 3 RB's we have likely to be traded or released by next year I think we can fill that gap. Locke is easily my favorite player of this bunch and could settle in as our 3rd back and provide help in so many area's.

Reaction score
I posted this article because I was very high on McCluster last year and seeing how he is making a difference in KC I'm still a little upset we did not land him. With that said, I would still love to find a player in his mold and with one of the 3 RB's we have likely to be traded or released by next year I think we can fill that gap. Locke is easily my favorite player of this bunch and could settle in as our 3rd back and provide help in so many area's.

You weren't the only one I was too but hey, I wanted Chris Johnson over ever RB we had a chance at when we got Felix...

I don't even want to remember how pissed I was at Parcells for passing on Steve Jackson and trading down for Julius Jones.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You weren't the only one I was too but hey, I wanted Chris Johnson over ever RB we had a chance at when we got Felix...

I don't even want to remember how pissed I was at Parcells for passing on Steve Jackson and trading down for Julius Jones.

LOL y'all need to get over that shit.

sbk92

Reaction score
Parcells should have taken Jackson.

But I find it hard to hate him for that considering the entire body of work here.

Top Bottom