sbk92

Reaction score
Big Board adds two from SEC

Nick Fairley and Justin Houston, both dominant SEC defenders, jump into the mix

By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com

With a tip of the hat to the crowd asking me "What took you so long!?" I've added Nick Fairley to the Big Board this week. But don't accuse me of being late to the party. In early September, well before Fairley was leading the nation in tackles for loss, I wrote about Fairley and said people around Auburn had told me what a great talent he was. I also noted that with added consistency, the "sky was the limit" -- a phrase which, in retrospect, seems to also apply to Fairley's team.

I tend to avoid adding juniors and draft-eligible sophomores to the Big Board too early if they aren't really high up the Board, as you don't want to over-influence guys regarding their status while still early in the season. (Believe me, countless coaches have been in my ear when they think I'm over-hyping one of their young guys.) But Fairley is now well into the season, and with another dominating performance, has climbed all the way to No. 8. The other big name to watch is Georgia's Justin Houston. I love his size, skills and the kind of development he's shown (and wrote about it here). As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomore have an asterisk. Until next week …

1) Andrew Luck *, Stanford QB 6-4 235
Analysis: Arm, footwork, size, smarts and poise are all there. I credit Luck's "check down" skills, but 8.64 YPA is nothing to scoff at. Last week: No. 1

2) A.J. Green *, Georgia WR 6-4 207
Analysis: After a four-game suspension, Green has been unstoppable. You can double or bracket him, but he's still getting 16.6 yards per catch. Last week: No. 2

3) Prince Amukamara, Nebraska CB 6-1 202
Analysis: Safety size with lockdown corner skills. Amukamara did have his worst game of the season -- OSU's Justin Blackmon beat him several times. Last week: No. 3

4) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-1 211
Analysis: Amazing size-speed combo. Essentially takes a WR out of the game plan. Cam Newton didn't challenge him. Averages 19.7 yards per punt return. Last week: No. 4

5) Robert Quinn *, North Carolina DE 6-4 267
Analysis: A freakish athlete with decent size, great quickness and pass-rush skills. Ineligible for the year, but scouts still in awe of talent. Last week: No. 5

6) Marcell Dareus *, Alabama DE 6-3 306
Analysis: Dareus could be a 3-4 DE, but I think he's better suited as a 4-3 DT. Would like him to improve on decent productivity. Currently with 8 TFL. Last week: No. 6

7) Da'Quan Bowers *,Clemson DE 6-4 277
Analysis: A great athlete at his size, Bowers still leads the nation in TFL (17) and has flown up the Board. Ideally suited as a 4-3 DE. Last week: No. 7

8) Nick Fairley *, Auburn DT 6-5 310
Analysis: One dominating performance has become many. Explosive, instinctive and with a great motor. Currently second to only Bowers nationally in TFL. Last week: NR

9) Mark Ingram *, Alabama RB 5-10 216
Analysis: Averaging more yards per rush than he did last year, when he won the Heisman. This is key, because he's so tough to handle for DBs and safeties. Last week: No. 10

10) Ryan Mallett*, Arkansas QB 6-7 238
Analysis: Has improved accuracy and can drill the deep intermediate routes. Would like to see him improve so-so 15-7 TD-INT ratio. Last week: No. 13

11) Adrian Clayborn, Iowa DE 6-3 282
Analysis: Clayborn isn't moving down as much as others have simply been moved up, but some concerns exist about his ability to get to the QB -- just 3 sacks. Last week: No. 9

12) Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue DE 6-4 259
Analysis: Disruptive, relentless pass-rusher with decent power vs. run. Kerrigan has 16.5 TFL, second to Bowers and Fairley, while facing plenty of double-teams. Last week: No. 11

13) Julio Jones *, Alabama WR 6-4 211
Analysis: Jones has been solid this year, showing toughness in playing hurt and better concentration. This is his highest position ever on the Board. Last week: No. 17

14) Allen Bailey, Miami DE 6-4 288
Analysis: Still developing at DE after making switch last year. Could project as a 3-4 or 4-3 DE. Would like to see productivity pick up as he improves. At 8.5 TFL. Last week: No. 14

15) Akeem Ayers *, UCLA OLB 6-4 251
Analysis: His exceptional athleticism makes him so versatile. He can rush the passer or cover from the linebacker position. Hard to look good stuck on current unit. Last week. No. 12

16) Jake Locker QB, Washington 6-3 228
Analysis: Solid TD-INT ratio, but his 56.5 completion percentage is 83rd nationally. Arm and intangibles there, but stock slipping. Last week: No. 8

17) Justin Houston *, Georgia LB 6-3 258
Analysis: My top-rated OLB for his class, Houston has prototype measureables and pass-rushing skills to fit as an edge-rusher in the 3-4 NFL scheme. Last week: NR

18) Ras-I Dowling, Virginia CB 6-2 200
Analysis: Like Peterson and Amukamara, Dowling continues to feel the freeze with QBs not throwing in his direction. Solid tackler. Last week: No. 16

19) Cameron Heyward, Ohio State DE 6-6 282
Analysis: Heyward has been up and down this season, troublesome for the strong, versatile player, as that was a big concern heading into the year. Last week: No. 15

20) Nate Solder, Colorado OT 6-9 313
Analysis: Solder has bounced back after I called him out regarding some lackluster performances. A physical talent still improving in technical areas. Last week: No. 18

21) Jon Baldwin *, Pittsburgh WR 6-5 225
Analysis: Great physical skills and size, Baldwin has had a rocky season with a new QB, but he's coming off a fine outing vs. Rutgers. Last week: No. 19

22) Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State OT 6-6 305
Analysis: Debuted on the Big Board last week. An athlete who really moves his feet well, Sherrod has been steady and continues to show improvement. Last week: No. 20

23) Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin OT 6-7 327
Analysis: Has had a fantastic two-week stretch, battling Ohio State and Iowa's talented defensive ends, respectively. Showing more than size. Last week: No. 24

24) Bruce Carter, North Carolina OLB 6-3 230
Analysis: Smart, reliable outside linebacker for a 4-3 defense. Could add size but uses speed to cover entire field. Few chances, but no sacks in 2010. Last week: No. 21

25) Marvin Austin, North Carolina DT 6-3 305
Analysis: Austin isn't eligible, and certainly his place here is tenuous as other prospects emerge, but his talent is of the first-round variety. Holding on -- for now. Last week: No. 25

C

Cr122

4) Patrick Peterson *, LSU CB 6-1 211
Analysis: Amazing size-speed combo. Essentially takes a WR out of the game plan. Cam Newton didn't challenge him. Averages 19.7 yards per punt return. Last week: No. 4

I wouldn't complain if we drafted him. He could replace Newman eventually.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Nick Fairly could be a good pair with Ratliff. Shit I would be down with either him, Peterson or even Mark Ingram.

sbk92

Reaction score
Nick Fairly could be a good pair with Ratliff. Shit I would be down with either him, Peterson or even Mark Ingram.

If you draft Ingram, then what do you do with the other three backs? I assume Barber would have to go.

I wouldn't be against it, since I'm real close on giving up on all three of these backs, but I think there's something to be said that continuing to draft skill position players when you consistently lose the battle at the line of scrimmage every week does nothing to help this team.

I'm for drafting talent over need, but I don't think Ingram is going to be a top 3 or 4 projection and that's probably where we'll be picking.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
If you draft Ingram, then what do you do with the other three backs? I assume Barber would have to go.

I wouldn't be against it, since I'm real close on giving up on all three of these backs, but I think there's something to be said that continuing to draft skill position players when you consistently lose the battle at the line of scrimmage every week does nothing to help this team.

I'm for drafting talent over need, but I don't think Ingram is going to be a top 3 or 4 projection and that's probably where we'll be picking.

While true. I wouldn't reach for OT talent since we seem to be picking in the top 5.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No way I'd use a 1st rd pick on a RB this yr, especially where we're likely to be picking.

Really like Ingram, but not sure what he'd give us considering our massive OL issue, especially considering we have two young, talented backs already.

Reaction score
We better trade down if want OL. It makes no sense to reach for at OL with a Top 5 pick this year. Otherwise we better pick up Patrick Petersen.

C

Cr122

Yeah, I'm not ready to give up on our three backs just yet.

If we could have any kind of blocking we would have three great backs.

We won't know until this oline is corrected. But if I would have to part with any of these backs it would be Barber.

Cythim

Reaction score
I wish our brilliant GM would've traded some of this "talent" away when we had the chance. People were high on Bennett, Choice and Barber last year and would've given decent picks for any of them.

C

Cr122

I wish our brilliant GM would've traded some of this "talent" away when we had the chance. People were high on Bennett, Choice and Barber last year and would've given decent picks for any of them.

Yep, we should of traded Bennett away when we were offered the last deal.

The more picks the better our chances.

Top Bottom