C

Cr122

Updated: September 16, 2010, 9:59 PM ET
Urban Meyer: 'It's not a dirty program'
EmailPrintComments
Associated Press
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer is fed up with the run of arrests in his program.
SEC blog
ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

When receiver Chris Rainey was arrested and charged with aggravated stalking last week it marked the 30th arrest -- involving 27 players -- in Meyer's tenure.

"I try to evaluate everything about our program," Meyer said Thursday. "I'm real upset about that. After a while, enough is enough. If there's something we can improve on, we're certainly looking into that. It's like if our graduation stinks, then we've got to improve that. If there are other issues in a program that's our job to get it better. People making stupid mistakes, that's something we've got to correct."

Meyer, who has won two national championships in his six seasons at Florida, bristled at the thought he's running a "dirty program."

"I don't care," he said, when asked if he was concerned the program was being perceived that way. "We do our best to win games. Dirty program? It's not a dirty program. We follow the rules and some guys make mistakes and we've got to correct those mistakes. We follow the rules. We do it the right way at Florida and we have to do a better job with correcting some of the people making mistakes."

Rainey, indefinitely suspended from the team, faces a third-degree felony charge for allegedly sending a former girlfriend a threatening text message.

"He's angry and disappointed that the whole thing happened," Meyer said. "We've got to move on."

Asked what Rainey has to do to get back on the squad, Meyer responded: "I don't know."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Top Bottom