Reaction score
University of Southern California assistant football coach Monte Kiffin announced Thursday he will resign from the coaching staff following the team's upcoming bowl game.

Kiffin, who spent 26 years coaching in the NFL before returning to the college ranks, said he is leaving to pursue opportunities in the NFL.

"I wanted to make this announcement now so that our players who are preparing for the bowl game and our recruits who will be visiting campus are aware," Kiffin said. "I really enjoyed my time at USC and the opportunity I had to work with our players and coaches. The chance to work for my son, Lane, was unique and memorable, but we always treated each other professionally on a coach-to-coach basis."

The 72-year-old coach has 47 years of coaching experience and helped the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers win a Super Bowl as their defensive coordinator.

He returned to college football in 2009 at Tennessee and then spent the past three seasons at USC.

"I respect my father's decision and his desire to return to the NFL," USC head coach Lane Kiffin said. "We are very appreciative of the hard work and effort that he put in at USC these past three years. He has a tremendous passion for coaching young men and he is a phenomenal recruiter."

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
who returns to the NFL at 72? I think this is Lane trying to spin the fact that he just asked his Dad to step down to help save his own job. He isn't leaving because he sucked, he wants to return to the NFL. Yeah right.

As far as Monte goes, his defense was pathetic this year. He, much like Lane, did not make in-game adjustments all year and especially in the losses to Stanford and Arizona. He's done.

I'm hoping we sign an outsider to be the new DC. Maybe someone like Gene Chizek. A lot of talk about Ed Orgeron, the current D Line coach, but I don't think that fixes the current state of underachievement. Some rumors about Joe Barry, the current Chargers LB coach, getting the job once the Chargers fire their coaching staff.

Reaction score
Definitely a fall guy to save Kiffin. Will it work? I hope not. Lane is a scumbag who deserves to be fired.

Top Bottom