Reaction score
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 28, 2012, 8:21 AM EST

The report that new Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is offering an ownership stake in the Browns to Jon Gruden if Gruden will coach Haslam’s alma mater, the University of Tennessee, has been denied by both men.

Asked on Mike and Mike in the Morning if there is any truth to the report, Gruden answered, “No, there isn’t.”

The Browns, meanwhile, released a statement also denying the report.

“Jimmy Haslam has no involvement in the University of Tennessee head coaching search, and the report that Jon Gruden would potentially have an ownership stake in the Browns is completely erroneous,” the statement said.

Gruden says his interest remains doing the job he’s doing, as ESPN’s Monday Night Football commentator.

“I’m just excited about Monday Night Football,” Gruden said. “I like what I’m doing. I’m just trying to hang on to the job that I have.”

Even so, the talk that Gruden could bolt for a job on a sideline is sure to continue.

Reaction score
I know Gruden is the sexy name, but I have to say this.... I would't want him.

If you look at his time in Oakland and Tampa Bay, he lived off of seasoned veterans. He didn't do well with regards to developing new young talent. In fact, his inability to develop young talent played a large role in why both teams kind of fell off a cliff not long after he left. Callahan took Oakland to the SB the next year, but after that, they went deep into the basement and still havent' recovered.

If you can't develop players at the NFL level... can you be counted on to develop them in college?

Fulmer had that problem as well, to a degree. For a number of years in the late 1990s/early 2000's... he bring in top 10 classes on signing day. But they players wouldn't really progress into the stud's their pre-signing day status suggested they would.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've never been overly impressed with Gruden either.

Still, there are worse choices.

Reaction score
jon88 said:
^ What he said.

Gruden aint no head coach

Don't say aint or your mother will faint, your daddy will fall in a bucket of paint, your brother will die, your sister will cry, your dog will call the FBI

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I'm not on the Gruden or bust bandwagon but I think he would make a good coach at the collegiate level.

I'll take him in a heartbeat over names like Al Golden or Jimbo Fisher that are also being thrown around.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I know Gruden is the sexy name, but I have to say this.... I would't want him.

If you look at his time in Oakland and Tampa Bay, he lived off of seasoned veterans. He didn't do well with regards to developing new young talent. In fact, his inability to develop young talent played a large role in why both teams kind of fell off a cliff not long after he left. Callahan took Oakland to the SB the next year, but after that, they went deep into the basement and still havent' recovered.

If you can't develop players at the NFL level... can you be counted on to develop them in college?

Best GM in the biz here though, Ciscowski.

Top Bottom