Reaction score
Who is the next head coach?

Dooley isn't the man for the job. Someone else needs to come in and restore this program. The Vols are now in the same breath as the Kentuckys and Vanderbilts of the SEC.

Who can realistically come in and lead this program into the right direction?

Or are we destined for mediocracy for years to come?

Reaction score
Mediocrity for years. Hamilton screwed us by trying to hire an all-star recruiting class led by Daddy Kiffin. The HC should be the focal point, not the staff. But even if Lane hadn't bolted after one year which screwed us big time, he would've likely had UT on major probation by now.

But him leaving just 2-3 weeks before signing day meant no real candidate was going to bolt their program at that time to come here. So we got stuck with a mediocre La Tech coach in Dooley. And almost any time you hire a HC you have to give him at least 3 years so that just resulted in 3 wasted years.

Now there aren't any major HC prospects out there with ties to Tennessee. Fulmer ran a good-ol-boys program and never developed a solid young coaching tree. David Cutcliffe who is almost 60 is the only name former UT assistant out there. DC John Chavis now at LSU is another but he's not a major HC candidate, and neither is Randy Sanders, etc. \

So Tennessee will be stuck with having to try to lure a HC from another school, which most likely would be from a mid-level program, or attract an unproven up-and-coming assistant.

I definitely want Dooley gone but I don't have high hopes we'll end up with much better. But I can't see it getting any worse.

Reaction score
Jon Gruden a possibility? I often hear his name mentioned. Don't know what ties he has to UT though.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Gruden's name is picking up steam. Most likely a pipe dream by many fans but it is being bantered around more and more.

He does have ties to UT. His first coaching gig was a graduate assistant position at UT. He met his wife there as well who was a cheerleader

3 names in some type of rotation from the media and message board scuttlebutt........

1) Gruden
2) Charlie Strong
3) Kirby Smart

Reaction score
I've seen some Vols fan sites mention him, but I don't think he'll be a real candidate. He was an assistant way back in the '80's at Tennessee and I think his wife is from the Knoxville area. But I'd be shocked to see him get offered or accept.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I've seen some Vols fan sites mention him, but I don't think he'll be a real candidate. He was an assistant way back in the '80's at Tennessee and I think his wife is from the Knoxville area. But I'd be shocked to see him get offered or accept.

Based on the Dooley debacle I think they would have to shell out some substantial money to a proven name to appease an ever growing disgruntled fan base. Gruden will coach again at some point depending on the right circumstances. I would throw him a bone in a heartbeat and see if he was willing to take a nibble.

The game last night was 30-40% Bama fans.Just beating the Murray St. and Tennessee Techs of the world and floundering like a fish out of the water in the SEC is unacceptable. Apathy is ever growing and empty seats will speak volumes by the last home game. Being sandwiched in between Vanderbilt and Kentucky as bottom feeders is an abomination. This University not only needs a name coach but a recruiter - motivator with a proven track record to get this derailed train on the right tracks.

Reaction score
I'd welcome Gruden but just don't think it'll happen. It is going to be tough to turn it around. I know the Dooley choice came at a time right before signing day. I think this time we should do better than that, but if we don't get Gruden I don't see any of the other names like Smart or Strong coming in and really turning it around.

Face it, before Saban even a team with the tradition and recruiting base like Alabama had to go through coaches like Mike Shula, Dubose and Franchione. And the actually offered Rodriguez before Saban. Right now it looks like it could be a long road back.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Kirby Smart's wife has been rumored to have been looking at RE in the Athens area FWIW

I think both Arkansas and Tenn will be taking long looks at Butch Davis

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
The Vols need a big name. Sorta like the Cowboys had to go get Parcels when they did, we've lost to much respect around the SEC. We're the biggest joke in it.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Well, the good news ought to be that there's no way Dooley survives this.

He's definitely a dead coach coaching. His pink slip is in the envelope waiting on the stamp.

If UT bumbles the next hire I may transform into a Vandy fan and jump on that rolling wagon. At least until Franklin leaves for greener pastures.

Top Bottom