Reaction score
Does this mean the mighty Tennessee Volunteers are considered winners of that epic 2007 Outback Bowl game vs the Nittany Lions?

:confused

Also, PSU loses 10 scholarships this year, and 20 scholarships a year over the next 4 years.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Penn State sanctions: $60M, bowl ban

Updated: July 23, 2012, 9:13 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.

Brutal.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Giving up past wins is stupid, and doing it for non football reasons doesn't even make sense.

Reaction score
I hope the current football players are getting an option to move to a different major university without time-penalty.

I don't think it is fair that current rules essentially hold the players hostage.

Reaction score
@nfldraftupdate
After 4-star DT Greg Webb decommitted from PSU in favor of UNC, 4-star CB Ross Douglass has left PSU - looks to be Wisconsin/Nebraska-bound.

Reaction score
I hope the current football players are getting an option to move to a different major university without time-penalty.

I don't think it is fair that current rules essentially hold the players hostage.
Yes, they are. But Golic made a good point this morning. At this stage most major programs are going to already have their scholarships spoken for this season. So if they leave now, guess they would have to pay tuition/room & board, etc. and walk-on to the team of their new school?? :confused

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Yes, they are. But Golic made a good point this morning. At this stage most major programs are going to already have their scholarships spoken for this season. So if they leave now, guess they would have to pay tuition/room & board, etc. and walk-on to the team of their new school?? :confused

They are also being given the option to stay on scholarship with Penn State and not play football, so they could conceivably take up a scholly spot and not even play ball. It's not likely, but they could.

Reaction score

Good point.

Well, maybe they'll have the option of waiting until next year to leave as well.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

I'm glad to see this stipulation that the program can't be connected to the university. Not difficult to imagine a university setting up an internal institute and then essentially pay itself.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Some coach called into one of the radio shows this morning and was reading the decision. Apparently it said that the NCAA was or was considering giving school exemptions to sign these players for that very reason, so the players wouldn't be stuck with nowhere to go.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Pretty harsh punishment.

I don't give a rat's red ass for PSU's sake,too bad for all the past and present athletes though.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You don't cover up crimes against children. Penn State looked the other way to protect the "program" so the program should pay the price. Penn State officials, who knew, not only looked the other way but let it keep happening. Sandusky was involved with football camps (young boys) and a big brother type program (vulnerable young boys) on campus. I don't know what the hell these people were thinking. In fact, anyone who was involved in the cover up should receive a lifetime ban from working at any NCAA affiliated institution IMO.

The NCAA should do whatever they have to do to ensure these players have a place to play, even if that means teams can go over the scholarhsip limits. Hell, make Penn State pay their way for one year at their new schools.

I think a school should be allowed to go over the scholarship limit by 1 to be able to bring in a Penn State player so that one or two schools don't gain a great advantage. If a school is under their schollie limits they should be able to bring in however many Penn State players want to come there, plus 1.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't cover up crimes against children. Penn State looked the other way to protect the "program" so the program should pay the price. Penn State officials, who knew, not only looked the other way but let it keep happening. Sandusky was involved with football camps (young boys) and a big brother type program (vulnerable young boys) on campus. I don't know what the hell these people were thinking. In fact, anyone who was involved in the cover up should receive a lifetime ban from working at any NCAA affiliated institution IMO.

The NCAA should do whatever they have to do to ensure these players have a place to play, even if that means teams can go over the scholarhsip limits. Hell, make Penn State pay their way for one year at their new schools.

I think a school should be allowed to go over the scholarship limit by 1 to be able to bring in a Penn State player so that one or two schools don't gain a great advantage. If a school is under their schollie limits they should be able to bring in however many Penn State players want to come there, plus 1.

Agree 100%

To me, the death penalty was warranted there.

Reaction score
I understand why they didn't go with the death penalty, as other schools would lose money... But it just seems wrong to make this kind of decision hinge on money. Now Penn State gets to attempt to make money this year.

Top Bottom