Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Updated: June 30, 2012, 4:20 PM ET
ESPNBoston.com

Kevin Garnett is returning to the Boston Celtics after considering retirement, according to multiple reports.

The forward will receive a three-year, $34 million deal, according to Yahoo! Sports.

"The decision came down to whether KG wanted to keep playing," a source told the Boston Herald. "And once he decided that he did, it was going to be Boston. He wasn't going to leave Doc (Rivers) and those guys and play anywhere else."

The 36-year old Garnett just completed his fifth season in Boston after 12 years in Minnesota. He averaged 15.8 points and 8.2 rebounds per game during the regular season, but upped his averages to 19.2 and 10.3 in the playoffs.

The Celtics have one other big name heading into free agency in shooting guard Ray Allen. While he has also expressed a desire to return to Boston, sources told ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst that the NBA champion Miami Heat have made Allen their primary offseason target.

Forwards Jeff Green and Brandon Bass are also slated for free agency.

While the timing of Garnett's deal helps the Celtics sort out their free agent plans, the reported average annual value of the deal gives Boston more salary cap room to work with. Garnett made $21 million last season, but both parties needed to account for Garnett's higher age and lower expectations, while allowing for Garnett's importance to the team's immediate future.

Boston can use the remaining cap space to retain their key free agents or lure players outside the organization. However, if the Celtics choose to avoid paying the luxury tax, they will be allowed to use the full midlevel exception, which has been set at $5 million for the 2012-13 season.

That exception could be used for someone like Memphis Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo. The Celtics reportedly nearly dealt Allen at the trade deadline for Mayo and Memphis did not extend Mayo a qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Garnett is in position to reach some notable NBA milestones. If he comes close to scoring 1,000 points during the 2012-13 season, he'll move into the top 15 on the NBA's all-time scoring list, surpassing the likes of Allen Iverson, Patrick Ewing and Jerry West. Similarly, if he grabs 500 rebounds next season, Garnett will vault into the top 10 in total rebounds in NBA history, moving past Hakeem Olajuwon and Wes Unseld.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Loving what Danny Ainge is doing for my celtics.

KG resigned
Bass resigned
Signed Jason Terry

Bout to resign Ray Allen
Bout to resign Jeff Green
Looking at Marcus Camby
Drafted Jared Sullinger
Drafted Fab Melo

Starting Lineup
Rondo
Bradley/Allen
Pierce
Bass
KG

Bench
Terry
Bradley/Allen
Camby
Green
Sullinger
Melo
JaJuan Johnson

Deep team. If Ainge can pull this off, I think next yr they beat the Heat. It took 7 games to wear down a injury dippleted 7 man rotation the Celtics were left with

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was long on the fence about resigning Ray Allen. Part of me is ok that they didn't, but I'm also angry about him going to the Heat. I have a feeling that's not going to be a warm and fuzzy homecoming the first time they visit Boston.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
the thing that has me mad was the reasoning. Ray was mad that Rondo was the guy that gave orders on court. Like a teenager type bs on rays part. Since that came out im now glad he's gone. Or celtic fans wouldve heard him complain more since his minutes were going to drop considerably with Terry and Bradley. Bradley was going to start anyways.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Rondo's the point guard Ray, point guard's supposed to lead on the floor, that's one of the reasons he brings the ball up the floor.

And you're right on his minutes. Bradley likely will start, and unless Ray experienced a rejuvination of sorts, Terry would have definatly beat him out on minutes. The more I think about it, the uglier I believe it probably would have ended up.

Top Bottom