Reaction score
Georgia sophomore running back Isaiah Crowell is facing three charges, including two felonies, after an early Friday morning arrest in Athens, Ga.

The No. 3-rated running back for the 2015 class by NFLDraftScout.com, Crowell faces charges of possession of a concealed weapon, carrying a weapon in a school zone and possession of an altered ID, according to the Ledger-Enquirer. The latter two charges are felonies in Georgia.

The most serious charge involves the school safety zone. The Georgia campus would be considered such an area. According to the County website, the felony is punishable by "not less than two nor more than ten years." If convicted, Crowell could also be fined up to $10,000 on that charge.

The arrest came at a vehicle checkpoint around 2:20 a.m. as an officer smelled an odor of marijuana, according to the Ledger-Enquirer.

Crowell was suspended immediately from the Bulldogs' football team.

Crowell was the SEC freshman of the year in 2011 with 850 rushing yards and is listed atop the Bulldogs' depth chart at running back as a co-starter with Ken Malcome.

It puts the future of the highly-recruited Crowell in doubt. He was the prized member of coach Mark Richt's 2011 signing class and showed great potential as a true freshman, although various injuries slowed him toward the end of last season (Crowell said an MRI revealed he played with torn ligaments in his left ankle last season that did not require surgery).

Crowell vowed to become a better teammate following a pair of disciplinary suspensions last season, had bulked up to 220 pounds

"My first goal is to be a good teammate, help my team get to the national championship," Crowell said during spring practices in March. "My second goal, I'm trying to run for the Heisman."

That second goal will be difficult to attain until - or if - he's reinstated to the team. With Malcome and Keith Marshall already pushing for playing time, the Bulldogs have plenty of backfield depth and don't have to press to get Crowell back on the field.

Malcome was voted the Bulldogs' most improved player on offense following spring drills, and rushed for 174 yards on 42 carries last season.

Marshall was rated a five-star prospect by ESPN coming from Raleigh, N.C. He was the top-rated running back recruit in the nation by Scout.com.

Top Bottom