Reaction score
May 13

Barry Wilner of NBC Sports reports the USFL is back in business, with Hall of Fame receiver Fred Biletnikoff among its advisers.

Biletnikoff will consult on football operations for the league, which went out of business in 1987 after losing millions of dollars and, despite winning a lawsuit against the NFL, being awarded just $3 in indemnities. The USFL plans to kick off next March in eight cities and play a 14-game season.

Biletnikoff will be joined by James Bailey, an executive for the Cleveland Browns and then the Baltimore Ravens for 21 years, on the USFL's board of advisers. The board will be responsible for guiding USFL management on various areas of operations, eventually focusing on a search for the league's commissioner.

The USFL will use players not drafted by the NFL or released by NFL teams, with player and coach contracts owned by the league.

------

This isn't Cowboys related, obviously... so it'll get moved eventually.

But anyone else find this interesting? Any idea what the cities are?

I'd love to see a non-AFL/UFL/CFL football league. I think this would be great...

I missed out on the whole XFL experience, but that was crap anyways from what I understood.

Reaction score
Are they going to have the same teams as before? Washington Feders, Los Angelas Invaders, etc?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sort of OT, but has anyone caught the 30-for-30 USFL show that was shown on ABC on Saturday afternoon? Great show for those of us who semi-remember those days.

Reaction score
I'm all for a quality minor league system. But I was glad to see them go belly up back then since they were bringing in some real quality players like Herschel, Reggie White, Steve Young, etc. It's good for the NFL to have a feeder system, but not a competing league.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Go LA Express!

More football is a good thing. The fact that it is not gimmicky Arena crap, even better.

Cythim

Reaction score
I will pay attention if Portland gets a franchise, though I doubt I would actually go to any games. If a new league is created they need to figure out a way to develop players and sell them to the NFL to make money.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh, and just to chime in since I missed it before... Yeah Mid, the XFL was straight garbage. The USFL back in the day was pretty damn cool. I know I'd love to watch spring football like that with some legit players right now. Seriously doubt this new version will be anything remotely close, but hey, guess it can't hurt to try it. At least NBC has some money to maybe give it a decent shot.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I enjoyed the USFL even more when it folded and delivered Herschel into our arms.

[video=youtube;sFM-AOKPWxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFM-AOKPWxY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I enjoyed the USFL even more when it folded and delivered Herschel into our arms.

[video=youtube;sFM-AOKPWxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFM-AOKPWxY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

My favorite athlete of all time.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My favorite athlete of all time.

One of mine, too. Just a super-badass. I really wish he'd gone straight to the NFL instead of burning up some of his best years in the USFL.

Anyone who hasn't seen the ESPN/SEC show on Herschel needs to find it online and watch it. It's simply awesome. I'm a little too young to remember him in college but what he did at Georgia was amazing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, what a great addition he was then. Great player, and of course the trade we made in 89 was monumental.

C

Cr122

Walker played for the New Jersey Generals. Can't wait for this to start.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Walker played for the New Jersey Generals. Can't wait for this to start.

I want to get a Georgia, New Jersey Generals, and Dallas Cowboys #34 Walker jersey framed and on my wall for my man-cave slash gym.

The Vikings, Eagles, and Giants jerseys can go to Hell.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I want to get a Georgia, New Jersey Generals, and Dallas Cowboys #34 Walker jersey framed and on my wall for my man-cave slash gym slash exercise museum (because you're a fat ass who doesn't exercise)

The Vikings, Eagles, and Giants jerseys can go to Hell.

fify

Top Bottom